aquastat relay wiring?

Old 10-23-11, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aquastat relay wiring?

I just had a new slantfin boiler installed with two circulator pumps, two zones and an aquastat relay l8148e. The electrician forgot to wire one of the thermostats to call for heat. He has the other one wired to the tv and t. Can anyone tell me how to wire the other stat to call for heat I dont see anywhere else to conect it.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-11, 08:57 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Sorry to say that there is no place to hook the second thermostat up to in that aquastat. Ditto with the second pump. I hope he didn't wire both pumps to the C1 C2 terminals in the aquastat... that's all wrong. Sounds like your installer got his money... he won't be back, but you certainly should call him and ask him WTF?

You mentioned the second thermostat, but surely the other pump is sitting there not connected to power, right?

You need another relay box to run the second circulator.

I would recommend a Taco SR502/3 zone control panel. For some reason Taco has a 502 and a 503, but they are the exact same product according to the data sheets, and they will both control three zones. See:

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/102-168.pdf

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...ry/102-167.pdf

Actually there is one small difference. The 502 only has LEDs for 2 zones on the side panel, and the 503 has 3 LEDs. But they both have 3 zones... go figure.

You would remove the one thermostat and circulator from the aquastat and wire them to this panel. The other thermostat and circulator also wire to this panel. This panel would wire to the T T terminals on the aquastat.

Patriot Supply - SR502

Last edited by NJT; 11-18-11 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Actually there is one small difference. The 502 only has LEDs for 2 zones on the side panel, and the 503 has 3 LEDs. But they both have 3 zones... go figure.
The 502 is a two zone the 503 is a three zone. The pics are wrong or they use a universal assembly and only two zone terminals function on the 502. Hooking a zone to terminal 3, if there is one on the 502, would do nothing.

Engineers!!! Got to love them!

Mike NJ

Old 10-24-11, 03:42 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Until and when I have one of each in my hands, I'm not gonna say one way or the other, but I believe that all three are populated on both boards... could be wrong as always... but that's what I think.