Steam Cut In/Out Pressure - How Low is TOO Low???

Old 12-01-11, 11:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steam Cut In/Out Pressure - How Low is TOO Low???

I have a 25 year old steam boiler that I'm tying to squeeze a few more years out of. Some knuckle head before me put a -30 to +30 psi gauge. Sure, a 60psi span is going to help.....

There are 5 steam radiators on the 1st floor and 1 on the 2nd floor.

So I installed a 0-5psi gauge and it looks like the cut in was set to about 1.75 and the cut out was set to 2.75. I reduced the cut-in to 0.5 and the cut out to 1.5psi and I can't tell the difference in heat output. This is a good thing

How low is too low? Is there any benefit to further decreasing the pressure? Say to 0.25 cut in and 1.25 cut out or am I just being silly? Is my 1.5psi cut out too low to begin with?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-11, 02:49 PM
The rule as i know it is to have just enough pressure to supply steam heat to the rad. that is the furthest from the boiler.I would say if the set pressure does not keep you comfortable then increase it. The lower the temperature of the medium being used to supply the btu. the easier it is on fuel, could be hot air, hot water or steam.If you are looking to make the system even more efficient look at a Tekmar 279 steam reset control.

Old 12-01-11, 04:18 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would run it where it is for a while and see what happens.

I believe that the Honeywell Pressurtrol recommends at least 1.5° between the cut-in and cut-out temps, so you may even have them a little on the close side... you could run into 'short cycling' if you get them too close together.

Is it a Pressurtrol 404 that you have on your system?

When you start dropping the cut-in too low, you run the risk of getting the control 'into the noise'... you could possibly run into a situation where the boiler would fail to fire... depending on how well your control is operating. You might be able to get away with dropping the cut-in lower, but I think 0.5 is just fine.

The lower the temperature of the medium being used to supply the btu
But... this is a steam system... you can't control the temperature! You can only control the pressure, right?

Still... by controlling the pressure at a lower point, you will save fuel. Think of how much longer the burner would need to fire in order to raise the pressure higher... the lowest steam pressure you can get by with and still heat the home, the better.

If you can't heat the home with 2 PSI steam, then something else is the problem. Possibly the radiator vents might need some work...

Note: some piping systems may require a higher pressure, but the huge majority don't need more than 2 PSI of steam.

Old 12-01-11, 05:15 PM
Just remember steam pressure is an exponential growth in fuel. Lowering helps save fuel.

Old 12-01-11, 06:35 PM
A steam boiler is a pot of water with a space above the water. Provide heat, btu to the water and its temperature increases until it reaches 212f and a amazing thing happens, the water at the surface begins to change state and becomes a vapour we call steam.If you watch the temperature gage you will notice that even though the heat input is the same the gage remains 212f. Watch this ,close the valve so the steam can not escape and you will see the pressure gage hand begin to register pressure and the temperature gage show an increase in temperature. The increase pressure on the surface of the water prevents the water from changing state until the water temperature increases. Therefor it is apparent the steam holds more of the heat energy at the higher pressure to be delivered to the cool rads and thus more btu can be delivered to the room in a shorter time.All you steam engineers will agree to this basic theory.

Old 12-01-11, 07:30 PM
NJT
That's fine, but I don't see the relevance to the poster's question. Stay focused.

Old 12-02-11, 07:39 AM
I agree that raise steam pressure raise the temp of steam.
We also know that steam moves faster at lower pressure so it is moving well before any pressure is produced. Steam pressure is excess steam. We know that it takes 970 btu's per pound of water to convert 212f water to 212f steam. As we raise pressure it becomes an exponential cost. So raising pressure will increase cost to produce steam is the added cost worth it?
If 0 psi steam is 212f, and 1 psi steam is 215f and 2 psi steam is 219f is it worth it? I don't think this is enough to see a difference when heating the building.

Old 12-02-11, 04:16 PM
NJT
All XJ wanted to know is if he could turn his pressurtrol down lower!

XJ, you comin' back for your answers?

If you've got the PA404A control, here's the PDF instruction sheet for it:

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...it/60-2341.pdf

That 1.5 PSI note I made earlier probably does not apply to your control. That only applies to the one with the 'subtractive' diff... yours should have the 'additive' diff.

So sure you could leave those settings you have if the home is heating fine... in fact, you could even try 1 PSI on the diff and see how it goes. Watch for too often short cycling if you try it.

I don't think you'll want to drop the bottom much below 0.5 though.