Water Boiler Temperature settings

Old 12-03-11, 10:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Water Boiler Temperature settings

I have a Weil-McLain VHE (series 3) boiler.

How do I adjust the boiler temperature? I have the manual but it talks about adjusting the temperature but doesn't show or say how to change it.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-11, 11:42 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would first like to ask this question, before we answer yours...

WHY are you looking to change the boiler temperature? What is it that you are trying to fix?

Old 12-03-11, 01:49 PM
It's running at 220 degrees and the repairfolks I have had over here just run the water out of it each time they come over to cool it down.

Old 12-03-11, 02:30 PM
NJT
Oh yeah, that's the way to fix it... just let some water out! Hey, didn't they used to call that BLOOD LETTING when they thought it would cure human disease?

I did find a manual for the VHE, which I guess you have already?

But for the life of me I can't find any kind of water temperature limit switch in the drawings...

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multim...wr3propane.pdf

If any all y'all can, let me know!

There IS a 'LIMIT' switch in series with the blower... is it possible that when the water hits limit, it stops the blower, the blower shuts off the pressure switch and the pressure switch cuts off the burner?

Yeah, that's gotta be it...

So, you need to find your 'limit' switch and hope that it's adjustable...

The install manual ...

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multim.../he3manual.pdf

... mentions the limit switch, but doesn't tell you where it is... check behing the front cover... there should be a control box with a dial... might have to carefully remove the cover from a box... TURN THE POWER OFF BEFORE YOU GO POKING AROUND IN THERE!

Last edited by NJT; 12-03-11 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-03-11, 03:49 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Remove the service door and look in the upper left hand corner.

Take a picture and post it if possible.

Old 01-07-12, 04:48 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of inside the boiler. I don't see much in the upper left corner.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old 01-07-12, 06:26 PM
NJT
Near as I can tell, it would be the gray Honeywell box... turn the power off and slide the cover off the box. You may have to loosen a screw on one of the side panels of the gray box.

Old 01-07-12, 08:04 PM
You are correct, it is under the Honeywell box. I have attached a pic that shows that it is set at 180 degrees.

What could it be if the thermostat is set to 180 degrees but the thermometer shows 210-220 degrees when the boiler is finished running?

Also, how many degrees should it cool down between heating cycles? That probably depends on how often it runs, right?

Old 01-07-12, 09:04 PM
NJT
What could it be if the thermostat is set to 180 degrees but the thermometer shows 210-220 degrees when the boiler is finished running?
First, you are reading that temperature at the moment it shuts down, and not some minutes AFTER the burner AND circulator have stopped, right?

If the aquastat does not agree with the temperature gauge...

1. The temp gauge is inaccurate.

2. The aquastat is inaccurate.

3. They BOTH are inaccurate.

4. If the boiler temp gauge reads HIGHER than the aquastat setting, the 'bulb' may not be fully inserted into the immersion well.

5. Different areas of the boiler may be at different temperatures. The exact point that the aquastat is sensing could easily be at a different temperature than the thermometer.

6. I can't think of a 6...

Also, how many degrees should it cool down between heating cycles? That probably depends on how often it runs, right?
I believe the 'differential' on that aquastat may be fixed at 15F. so if it shut off at 180, it would fire again at 165. What is the model number of the aquastat?

No, it doesn't matter how often it runs.

Last edited by NJT; 01-07-12 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 09:08 PM
NJT
Here's the thing... it doesn't matter if the stuff is not ultimately accurate. What DOES matter is that it does the same thing, EVERY TIME.

If you want the boiler to run a bit cooler, and you believe that the temperature gauge is accurate, then go ahead and turn the aquastat temperature DOWN... set it at 170 for a while and observe...

From what I've been able to discover about your control, I don't think you will be able to lower it much... the range on that control is stated from 180 - 240 ... so if you turn it all the way down, you might get to 170 or so... do that.

There is also a stop set that won't let you turn it up too high.

Last edited by NJT; 01-07-12 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-07-12, 09:09 PM
NJT
It's running at 220 degrees and the repairfolks I have had over here just run the water out of it each time they come over to cool it down.
What a bunch of Bozos...

I hope they didn't charge you for that!

Last edited by NJT; 01-07-12 at 09:40 PM.