Zone valve problem?

Old 12-04-11, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zone valve problem?

I moved into my house about 3 years ago and dont have much experience with hot water heat. So here it goes... I have two zones in my house. Upstairs and downstairs. The uptairs heat quit working yesterday. The downstairs heat works fine. I have determined that the zone valve for the upstairs is not opening. It is a Honeywell V8043E, it is not the original valve. The valve for the basement is an original(Same Model just older) I am thinking of ordering a new valve head. I am just wondering if there is anything I am missing that might be causing my problem? Possible the thermostat up stairs is bad? I replaced the batteries about 3 months ago and the thermostat makes the appropriate clicking sounds to turn on the boiler. The valve has two settings, Auto and Open. The arm will not move from Auto to Open. I am not sure if it is stuck or how it should be moved to open. Ok I am done rambling on, any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-11, 07:07 PM
There is a fair bit of resistance when moving that arm with your hand if the valve is closed. If it is open, it will move easily.

What is the pressure in your system and what temperature is the water when you made that reading?

Old 12-04-11, 07:25 PM
The arm is really hard to move. It is a thin piece of metal and I put as much pressure on it with my finger as I can. It hurts my finger and does not move.

As far as pressure and temp......Temp right now is 90 deg and 0 for pressure. Boiler hasnt been on for a while. That is why the low numbers?

Old 12-04-11, 07:42 PM
I turned temp up to turn on boiler....Temp was 180 deg F and the psi moved very very little??? Not sure where it should be but maybe 5 psi???

Old 12-04-11, 08:11 PM
It does sound like there is something wrong with your zone valve if you can't move that lever. I'm not sure what at this moment.

You do have another problem that will cause the upstairs heat to not work. The boiler should have a min pressure of 12 psi when cold. So you need to allow more water into your system. Typically there is a valve that will fill it automatically. If you have that valve it could be defective, set improperly, or there is a shut off valve that prevents more water from flowing in.

Old 12-04-11, 08:12 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Rik, you've got more than one problem... if the lever on the zone valve is THAT hard to move, something is buggered up inside. When you push on the lever you should hear the 'whirring' of the gears as the valve opens. When you release the lever, same 'whirring' as the springs pull it shut. It should definitely not be so hard to open as to hurt the finger.

About the old vs new valves... The OLD style valves could NOT have the head changed without draining the system. The NEW style can.

You can tell the difference between OLD and NEW by the number of screws that hold the head onto the valve. The OLD valves had FOUR screws, the NEW have TWO diagonally opposite each other. On the NEW valves, the other two screws are replaced by locating 'pins'.

There is a kit that can be installed to use a new head on an old body, but to install the kit you still have to drain the system.

Telling you this just in case the OLD valve for downstairs ever messes up on ya. You said the one for upstairs is newer, and chances are that you can just replace the head.

So, you need to do that in any case...

But then you are faced with a low pressure condition. There's a few reasons this can happen. The MINIMUM pressure you should see is 12 PSI when the boiler is COLD. This might increase as much as say 10 PSI when the boiler is HOT.

Can you take some in focus, well lighted, large enough for old dudes to see pictures? Try to get all the stuff that's connected to the boiler... valves, pipes, gadgets, etc... and take several from far enough back and different angles to get the whole boiler.

If so, set up a free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload them there to a PUBLIC album. Come back here and drop a link to your album and we'll see if we can get ya back running again...

Old 12-04-11, 08:40 PM
The head is the newer head with opposite screws. looks as it it could be replaced. I was going to order the valve head but I am thinking I will just call a profesional. I know there is a feed line from my water source. But when I saw the water pressure at almost 0...something else may be wrong. I need to read up on these Boilers and how they work. I have figured out a bit on my own, but I think its time for a Prof. Temp is going down over the next few days and I aint going to be cold!!! lol Thanks for the info guys and I will keep you posted as to what is wrong.

Old 12-04-11, 08:41 PM
The zone motor can be access by removing its cover and inside is a fly wheel .Try turning it to free up the valve,if this does not solve the problem i suggest replacing the complete valve.

Old 12-04-11, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
I am thinking I will just call a profesional.
Probably a good choice. You know your own skill set. There are some good books out there to educate yourself on hydronic heating.

Try to get some tips from the pro when he comes out. Ask questions, etc....

Some techs are glad to offer advice.

Mike NJ

Old 12-05-11, 09:44 AM
Ok. Prof came out....zone valve is bad. I will order one and replace myself. He also said the expantion tank is bad. Informed me I could replace myself as well. So I will order and hopefully be fixed in a couple of days.

Old 12-05-11, 04:47 PM
NJT
0 for pressure
Did the professor comment on the low system pressure?

If so, did he find the cause and correct it?

Old 12-07-11, 07:18 PM
Well parts came today. I replaced the zone valve. That fixed the heat upstairs. I also replaced the expantion tank as well. That fixed my water pressure problem. Cold was about 12 psi, hot was 20 psi. Fixed all for $105. Professional wanted $625 to fix. But he is the one who told me how to fix it and exactly what I needed. He was deff a big help and worth the $89 service call.

Old 12-07-11, 07:59 PM
NJT
He was deff a big help
And a smart businessman! He knows who you will call back when you need him!

Thanks for coming back and letting us know all was successful!