"Diverter Tee" Systems and Return Temps

Old 12-08-11, 03:03 PM
"Diverter Tee" Systems and Return Temps

I realize there are variables like pipe size, flow rate, etc. to consider, but generally speaking, do One-Pipe Monoflo/Venturi T systems act sort of like Bypass Piping systems, in that they tend to keep the boiler return temps warmer and more consistent?

I have an older home (built 1914) with an older One-Pipe/Taco Venturi T system. I've been monitoring the system temperatures, and I've noticed that, on a call for heat, the return piping at the boiler (Utica MGB100) tends to warm up much quicker than the copper piping that branches off from the Venturi T leading to the baseboards. It seems to me that the hot water that isn't immediately getting diverted into the branches continues to flow back to the boiler without losing too many BTUs on the way (all the piping was insulated to the best of my ability last spring). I would assume this is a positive thing and one of the benefits of a "Diverter T" piping arrangement.

It's not really an issue or problem - I'm just wondering about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-11, 03:57 PM
NJT
do One-Pipe Monoflo/Venturi T systems act sort of like Bypass Piping systems, in that they tend to keep the boiler return temps warmer and more consistent?
In general, the answer is probably yes.

Of course, if one were to 'overload' a heating loop with too many div-tees, there wouldn't be much heat left at the end of the line...