thermostat setting

Old 12-11-11, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thermostat setting

had a new gas larrs endurance combo boiler installed to replace my 25 year old heatmaker and kept the old honeywell round thermostat. i have noticed that with the temp set a 74 degrees the room temp some times drops to 71 degrees before i get heat in the baseboard heaters. the system is a loop system not zoned. i checked the honeywell website and they say the anticipator should be set at .8 for hot water heat and it is set at .3 where the other boiler ran. will moving the anticipator from .3 to .8 solve my problem ??? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-11, 09:03 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
will moving the anticipator from .3 to .8 solve my problem ???
No. The anticipator actually works on the other end of the range.

Believe it or not, the anticipator is a small heater inside your thermostat. It works to artificially warm the thermostat and cut the heat off BEFORE it would normally shut off. This prevents the room from overshooting the thermostat setting on the high side.

The actual setting of the anticipator is based on the amount of current that the boiler controls pass through the thermostat, the setting should be based on the actual control that the thermostat is connected to, not on the actual 'type' of heat.

Doesn't the dial inside have an arrow with the word 'longer' printed next to it?

Old 12-11-11, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
No. The anticipator actually works on the other end of the range.

Believe it or not, the anticipator is a small heater inside your thermostat. It works to artificially warm the thermostat and cut the heat off BEFORE it would normally shut off. This prevents the room from overshooting the thermostat setting on the high side.

The actual setting of the anticipator is based on the amount of current that the boiler controls pass through the thermostat, the setting should be based on the actual control that the thermostat is connected to, not on the actual 'type' of heat.

Doesn't the dial inside have an arrow with the word 'longer' printed next to it?
it looks like the word "longer" is stamped into the anticipator on the right end. it is a CT87 thermostat

Old 12-11-11, 09:20 PM
NJT
looks like the word "longer" is stamped into the anticipator on the right end
There should be an arrow showing you the direction for longer also...

If the anticipator is set for a shorter cycle, the system may 'short cycle' because it shuts off too soon, even before the room is up to temp... and then will call for heat again, shortly thereafter.

If set for too long a cycle, the room temp will overshoot the thermostat setting.

You could try changing the setting, but I doubt it will affect what you're seeing there...

I think I would just go ahead and replace the thermostat... the new ones are much more accurate.

Old 12-11-11, 09:26 PM
There should be an arrow showing you the direction for longer also...

If the anticipator is set for a shorter cycle, the system may 'short cycle' because it shuts off too soon, even before the room is up to temp... and then will call for heat again, shortly thereafter.

If set for too long a cycle, the room temp will overshoot the thermostat setting.

You could try changing the setting, but I doubt it will affect what you're seeing there...

I think I would just go ahead and replace the thermostat... the new ones are much more accurate.
Thanks for the prompt reply. it seems to occur when the outside temp is above 40 and when the outside temp is below 30 it does not do it.

Old 12-12-11, 05:18 AM
NJT
I'm not familiar with that boiler model... I wonder if there's a setting on the boiler that needs to be tweaked?

Do you know if that boiler has OUTDOOR RESET feature? (there would be an outdoor temp probe connected to the boiler if it did).

Old 12-12-11, 01:17 PM
I'm not familiar with that boiler model... I wonder if there's a setting on the boiler that needs to be tweaked?

Do you know if that boiler has OUTDOOR RESET feature? (there would be an outdoor temp probe connected to the boiler if it did).
It has that feature in the wiring but it is not being used.

Old 12-12-11, 01:27 PM
NJT
It has that feature in the wiring but it is not being used.
Why not? you paid for it ... and it can save fuel...

I guess I need to look up your boiler and see what ya got.

What's the full model number of your boiler?

Are there any 'fault codes' on the display?

Old 12-12-11, 02:22 PM
Why not? you paid for it ... and it can save fuel...

I guess I need to look up your boiler and see what ya got.

What's the full model number of your boiler?

Are there any 'fault codes' on the display?
No fault codes.Teledyne Laars Endurance EBP-110 Natural gas combo boiler

Old 12-12-11, 03:48 PM
NJT
I scanned through the manual for your system and didn't see anything jump out at me that might cause what yer seeing... I would say try a new thermostat and see what happens... let us know.

And look into utilizing the ODR... why not?

Old 12-12-11, 06:34 PM
I scanned through the manual for your system and didn't see anything jump out at me that might cause what yer seeing... I would say try a new thermostat and see what happens... let us know.

And look into utilizing the ODR... why not?
I will email the company and see what i need to activate ODR. Thanks

Old 12-13-11, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by pamotorman View Post
I will email the company and see what i need to activate ODR. Thanks
I recieved a e mail from the company and they said I may not see much savings because my EBP boiler heats the domestic hot water. Quote, The Endurance outdoor reset is limited to ensure that the internal water temp is high enough to prevent heat exchanger condensation. EBP units are limited further to keep the temp of water in the 20 gallon transfer tank high enough to serve the domestic water plate heat exchanger at all times. Thanks again for all your help