Oil Primary Control w/Purge Function

Old 12-13-11, 04:53 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Oil Primary Control w/Purge Function

Are there really benefits to pre and post purging an oil burner? I've read that it can help in several ways, such as promoting some draft before firing and keeping the burner nozzle/head cleaner. Is this accurate? Are there any other benefits? What about drawbacks?

Also, I'm guessing that, if an Oil Primary has pre/post purge functions, then it must be internally programmed so that the cad cell sensor "knows" when to look for flame (and of course when NOT to look for it) depending on the purge delays...?

Example shown HERE.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-11, 05:08 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Is this accurate?
I think so...

drawbacks?
None that I can think of...

If the question were: Does it make sense to change an existing working control out because this one is somehow 'better'?

I would probably say no, don't change until it's necessary.

The Beckett primary is another example, Patriot Supply - 7505P1515U

(which is I believe the R7284 that Grady posted after this... branded for Beckett)

Last edited by NJT; 12-13-11 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-13-11, 05:27 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
ALL commercial and industrial sized burners, gas and oil, use both pre and post purge. The pre-purge is primarily to clear the combustion chamber and gas passages of any unburnt fuel that may be present and the post purge allows any "dribble" of fuel after the close of the fuel valve to burn cleanly.

In a domestic burner the pre-purge allows the blower and oil pump to get up to speed and proper pressure before introducing the fuel and the post purge does the same as in commercial/industrial work. I strongly recommend both pre and post purge.

Old 12-13-11, 05:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
I cuncur 100% with Furd's comments. I swaped out my own primary for one with pre & post purge. Here is my preference for such a control. Product

Old 12-13-11, 05:53 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Now that's slick! The R7284 is obviously an offshoot from the RM7800 series that was developed for the commercial and industrial burner. I really like the RM7800 series and I would install the R7284 in a minute if I had an oil burning furnace.

Old 12-13-11, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Beckett's control works well BUT you have to have an external programer to make any changes to the defaults or to read any history. I much prefer the Honeywell for that alone.

Old 12-13-11, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Thank you for the responses. What got me curious was the fact that the 10 year-old Carlin 102CRD burner I'm tending to (2.5GPH/60*/SS nozzle @ 100psi) has an oil valve that came installed on the unit. So adding a Primary w/purge functions would be pretty easy. (I suspect most "newer" oil burners come with the oil valve installed).

I'm going to further weigh the cost against the benefits.

Old 12-13-11, 07:57 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Most of your new oil equipment coming out today have these features.