L8048B Problem

Old 12-14-11, 03:23 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
L8048B Problem

I have an old (1969?) Utica gas-boiler furnace with a L8048B Aqua Stat Relay Controller. The relay buzzes when energized. I was considering not replacing the whole unit, and was wondering if anyone can advise me on replacing just the relay? I'm having a hard time identifying the ratings of this relay. The relay still works, but maybe not for long, and everything else works fine. Thanks!

Old 12-14-11, 06:27 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I've misplaced my Honeywell service handbook so I'm not sure of the model but if that relay has a metal top (armature) it is likely toast and needs to be replaced. If you have the relay that is plastic-topped then it is likely dirt and/or rust that is keeping the armature from fully contacting the core when energized and you MIGHT be able to fix it.

If it is the plastic-top relay then using some garnet sandpaper (do NOT use emery) try cleaning the underside of the armature and the top of the core. Blow out any particles with compressed air. Do NOT use the sandpaper on the electrical contacts.

I do not recommend trying to replace the relay. If the above doesn't help the problem then replace the control.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: