Boiler won't automatically kick in (sometimes)

Old 12-17-11, 08:16 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Boiler won't automatically kick in (sometimes)

Hoping to get some advise...I am guessing something electrical. The Utica boiler to our radiator system "sometimes" will not start automatically. I have to go downstairs and hit the reset button on the gray Honeywell box. A scary thought with the winter coming here in New England and the pipes freezing if we're away. I probably did not give enough info but could someone let me know or ask me for specifics? Thanks...Tom

Old 12-17-11, 08:48 AM
S
I think your going to have to supply model # of boiler, make and model of burner, pictures are always helpfull.

Old 12-17-11, 01:49 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Freet, I'm guessing by your description that this is an OIL fired system? and the gray box you are pushing the reset button on is attached to the burner, above the motor?

If so, then you need to call a technician to have the boiler cleaned, and the burner serviced.

Oil fired equipment should be serviced yearly... new nozzle, electrodes adjusted, combustion tested, internal brushing and vacuuming of the combustion chamber and the heat exchanger, oil filters changed, etc...

If you keep pushing the button, and the burner doesn't fire, you will get unburned oil building up in the boiler... and this could be dangerous. If you DO do this, please tell the technician you have done so!

Do NOT let this go, because it will get worse... and will completely fail to restart at some point... when it is 20 below, in a blizzard, on Christmas Eve... ain't that always the way?

Old 12-18-11, 12:02 PM
F
Thanks guys...I will take NJ Troopers advise...you are right...why mess around...I love this message board...you guys are great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: