Max distance for oil line

Old 12-17-11, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Max distance for oil line

I am planning my boiler install for the spring time, and i would like to move my oil tank at that time to. Right now it is in front of my house, and i would like to move it to the side.

Is there a Max distance that the burner can be away from the tank? also i assume that i will need to bury the oil line 4' in the ground for frost prevention?

i plan on using 3/8 sleeved protected oil line

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-11, 02:39 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
There is a maximum... but I can't tellya off the top of my head... it depends on the 'lift' (height difference) between the burner and the tank, whether or not you are running a one pipe or two pipe system, the size of the tubing, the capacity of the particular fuel pump on the burner itself... and maybe some other factors.

I don't think the lines need to be buried, at least not that far... after all, the tank is above ground and uninsulated, right?

Old 12-17-11, 06:24 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Please give more details on your particular installation. How high is the bottom of the tank above the burner? How long is the total length of the fuel line? Will there be any upward flow sections? Are you planning on the fuel line coming out of the top or bottom of the tank? What are the normal low temperatures in your area?

Old 12-18-11, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if you have a long ranch and that lenght is added to the burner pump from the tnk you won't know it till winter colder days and as said those ambients temps .if your in a cape cod or the house is square you can place the tank 360 Degrees around from the furnace/boiler as the center point