Edwards Engineering

Old 12-20-11, 10:04 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Edwards Engineering

OK, I have an Edwards Engineering hot water heat boiler system that works great most of the time. I had to replace the pump last year and also was able to replace two of the old zone controls with newer ones. Now the third zone control is going bad, it sticks, and won't open all the way. I have not been able to find any more locally (Toledo, Ohio), and have searched the internet looking for one to no avail. I'm wondering how hard it would be to retro-fit the system with something like Honeywell or another brand without having to do a whole lof of work to the system. I can manually turn the zone control and the boiler will fire and heat the downstairs, but I then have to manually turn it to closed otherwise it keeps running. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can get a new zone control, or how hard it would be to re-fit the system with another brand?
Thanks

Old 12-20-11, 11:01 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Bob, have you got any specs at all on the zone valve that's in there now?

Model number etc? In order to suggest a replacement, we would need to know something about the existing valve. Chances are pretty good that it's possible...

Old 12-20-11, 03:05 PM
NJT
Bob, is this your zone valve?

Edwards Hydronic Parts

Old 12-20-11, 03:16 PM
B
Yes that is the one. I tried to email Edwards but it was returned as undeliverable. The old one still has the mercury cylinders in it and I would like to replace that one as it is not working at all now. I also think I'm not getting 24V to the other valves as they are sticking between open and closed. What a mess.

Old 12-20-11, 03:50 PM
NJT
Pictures might help... the one on that website isn't close enough to allow me to see the details of those wiring terminals.

Most zone valves are pretty simple devices, generally a motor ( either electric as in the Honeywell and others, or HEAT as in Taco), and an endswitch that signals the boiler that a valve has opened and the boiler needs to fire...

If you can post an in focus, well lighted and large enough to see details pic of the wiring, set up a FREE account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload there. Come back here and drop a link to your PUBLIC album and we'll have a look.

Old 12-20-11, 05:16 PM
B
I'll try and get a good picture as you suggest and post it. I've had the new valves on for a couple of years now and everything worked good until this season. I checked the voltage an am only getting 19.7 when it should be 24+ I think. When all the valves are closed and I turn the thermostat on for one (one of the new ones) it kicks in. So I'm thinking because of the low voltage that when 2 thermostats try and turn on, there's not enough juice to open the zone. Again, I'll try and get some good pictures and upload them and post the link. Thanks so much for your input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: