Furnace drainage pipe spitting water

Old 12-29-11, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace drainage pipe spitting water

i have a Burnaham Model 204NS-tE12 hot water furnace about 12yrs old that is spitting water out of the drain pipe; the floor is all wet; what is the cause?
do i have to add water to the system?
note: i put black foam pipe insulation on all the pipes and they were good for years but now they are all melted, maybe there is not enough water in the system and it is now steam?
how do i add water? do i need to add or bleed air pressure? any help would be appreciated,,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-11, 07:46 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
When you say "drain pipe" , do you mean the pipe connected to the PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE ?

If that is spitting water it means that there is too much pressure in your system, and relieving this pressure so as not to cause a huge problem... i.e. explosion. Do NOT BLOCK THAT PIPE!

What is the reading on the temperature and pressure gauge?

There may be other problems as well... if the system is getting so hot as to melt insulation that has been fine for so many years, there is also apparently a temperature problem.

Not knowing your skill set, it is difficult to judge if you should attempt repairs yourself, of if you should call a technician. Being winter, and you need heat NOW, it might be best to pass this off to a tech.

Your call...