advice request, freeze protection for commercial hot water heating boiler

Old 12-29-11, 07:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
advice request, freeze protection for commercial hot water heating boiler

Hi all!
Weil-McLain cast-iron sectional boiler, BL-676-W, fired with #2-oil.
Copper distribution lines, copper/aluminum-fin baseboards (for perimeter heating) plus copper/aluminum-fin hot water coil inside a Trane rooftop unit.

I would like to protect it by adding anti-freeze (the coil in the rooftop unit is my main concern). The building is used as an after-school-care facility, open only a few hours a day (on weekdays only, in the afternoons), boiler is shut-off at any other times when building is unoccupied.

I will appreciate advice on what anti-freeze to use, plus & minuses in doing so, percentage to use in solution (ratio anti-freeze/water), care/monitoring needed afterwards (will the solution decompose and become acidic over time?).

Thanks guys!

Old 12-29-11, 08:19 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi Paul!

I'm pretty sure this is what yer gonna need... pretty much all the answers are in the spec sheet.

http://www.herchem.com/specs/cryoteck.pdf

Did I pass the pop quiz?

Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-11, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pop-quiz

Thank you, Trooper...
You always so helpful, and bring a smile to my face each and every time.

It's interesting how I've been finding and fixing problems with the hvac in this building since we took over it (wife runs an extension to our daycare center there), mechanical as well as electrical. The wiring was a mess...More than once I have found myself shaking my head in disbelief at what was done there by the "professionals" before me. To name but a few, the wiring for the multi-stage control circuitry and for the economizer, completely faulty (kept on popping fuses, which BTW were also oversized...to keep them from popping I suppose ), wrong choice of capacitors...you name it.

At any rate, it has all made for excellent photo-op's to show to my students. Thanks and have a wonderful new year celebration tonight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: