Radiators Sound Like Running Water

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-12, 05:54 AM
Radiators Sound Like Running Water

I am braving my first winter in Minneapolis in a house (two story) built in 1884. Most of the radiators produce heat, but the two furthest away from the boiler do not. The boiler (basement) reads 10 psi. The house sounds like running water constantly when the heat is on. The radiators are begining to "ping" and "pop". Is this simply a matter of bleeding the radiators? Or does the system need more water?

Thanks for any help... it was -12 C this morning in Minneapolis, btw.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-12, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
You could bump the pressure up a tad. Make sure you adjust when the boiler is cool. Also bleed the rads and see what happens, but possibly any air removeal device at the boiler may be faulty.

Its best to take pics and post back here so we can see your set up.

Make / model of boiler?

Mike NJ

Old 01-03-12, 06:05 AM
Don't know the exact model of Weil-McClain CGa Gas Boiler. I can post some pics later this evening. Thanks for your response!

Old 01-03-12, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Yes take some pics. Bump the pressure to about 15psi cold then bleed the rads. Then after you post the pics we can guide you further.

Mike NJ

Old 01-03-12, 02:48 PM
NJT
Are you the home OWNER, or are you renting?

The radiators are begining to "ping" and "pop".
Are what you are calling 'radiators' the 'fin-tube baseboard' ( copper tubing with aluminum fins inside a steel cabinet ) ? (I'm thinking an 1884 house might have standing cast iron radiators though?)

If so, the pinging and popping probably won't go away after getting the pressure up where it belongs and bleeding the air out. What you are hearing is most likely expansion noises.

The gauge on the boiler might not be accurate...

You might find that the expansion tank needs to be serviced...

Old 01-03-12, 04:35 PM
The noise you are hearing is an indication of not enough water in the system. Which is really not enough pressure. You fill your system based on pressure. It should be a minimum of 12 psi when cold. However, as NJ Trooper stated, the pressure gauge may be inaccurate. If you do indeed have cast iron radiators, try bleeding the offending rads first and see if they fill up with water.

Old 01-04-12, 08:03 AM
Thanks everyone. I took some nice photos, but do not have permission to post them...
I am the homeowner and they are cast iron radiators. The pressure guage is new. I have turned off the heat and will bleed the radiators today. (fingers crossed)

Old 01-04-12, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Old 01-05-12, 10:24 AM
So I tried to bleed the radiatiors, but nothing happened. No hissing, no water coming out. Nada. I am assuming to add water to the boiler I have to open the valve on the right in this picture? The one on the left is connected directly to the circ pump.
boiler.jpg picture by rathaunique - Photobucket

Old 01-05-12, 10:39 AM
I am assuming to add water to the boiler I have to open the valve on the right in this picture?
The red handled ball valve in the upper right corner of the pix? That valve is already open, but anyway the view doesn't show where the line from that valve goes to. We need a couple of more wide-angle photos from the sides of the boiler, showing the piping and valving. Also, post a photo of one of the bleeders you used to bleed.

Old 01-05-12, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Yes you need to find the fill valve to bump the pressure up a bit. 12-15 psi no higher. Takes but a second.
Lift the handle alittle

Should look like this.

Mike NJ

Old 01-09-13, 12:42 PM
If the radiators are not heating at all the valves may be shut off at the radiators themselves, there should be valves at each radiator. If they are open then there are air valves also, and air will escape until water comes out and even then, continue to let the water out until it is not spitting any air at all, this may take a while. In my experience, if the system is not completely filled, I will here that sound of running water and I have filled the system not just by opening the inlet valve but doing it while the circulator pump is on but adding only slight amounts of water at a time, letting cold water go into a hot and heating furnace may crack the cast iron tank inside. I also have had my pressure at or around 25 lbs pressure, not 10-12.

Old 01-09-13, 06:37 PM
NJT
Just a 'heads up'... you might wanna check the dates of threads you reply to. This one's about a year old!

Closed Thread