H.W. Boiler starts and stops and sometimes won't shut off.

Old 12-17-11, 08:16 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hoping to get some advise...I am guessing something electrical. The Utica boiler to our radiator system "sometimes" will not start automatically. I have to go downstairs and hit the reset button on the gray Honeywell box. A scary thought with the winter coming here in New England and the pipes freezing if we're away. I probably did not give enough info but could someone let me know or ask me for specifics? Thanks...Tom

Old 12-17-11, 08:48 AM
S
I think your going to have to supply model # of boiler, make and model of burner, pictures are always helpfull.

Old 12-17-11, 01:49 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Freet, I'm guessing by your description that this is an OIL fired system? and the gray box you are pushing the reset button on is attached to the burner, above the motor?

If so, then you need to call a technician to have the boiler cleaned, and the burner serviced.

Oil fired equipment should be serviced yearly... new nozzle, electrodes adjusted, combustion tested, internal brushing and vacuuming of the combustion chamber and the heat exchanger, oil filters changed, etc...

If you keep pushing the button, and the burner doesn't fire, you will get unburned oil building up in the boiler... and this could be dangerous. If you DO do this, please tell the technician you have done so!

Do NOT let this go, because it will get worse... and will completely fail to restart at some point... when it is 20 below, in a blizzard, on Christmas Eve... ain't that always the way?

Old 12-18-11, 12:02 PM
F
Thanks guys...I will take NJ Troopers advise...you are right...why mess around...I love this message board...you guys are great!

Old 01-05-12, 10:09 AM
F

The boiler has been firing up and then shutting off within seconds but also (at times) staying on even when we set the programable thermostat all the way down. I just tapped the thermostat on the wall and it finally shut off. However, it still (randomly) fires and shuts off...even when thermostat is set below "on" temp.
Could it be as simple as changing the thermostat?
Older Utica boiler...Honeywell Aquastat..Robertshaw thermostat.
Thanks

Old 01-05-12, 11:56 AM
P
Could it be as simple as changing the thermostat?
Sounds like it might be.
Do you know how the thermostat is wired?
If so, try taking it off and twisting the wires together. Usually the red and white. But if there are more, take some pictures and folks here may know better.
If it works steady, with the wires twisted together and shuts of correcty when they are untwisted.
Then the thermostat is the problem.

Have you changed the batteries and done a reset on the thermostat?

Peter

Old 01-05-12, 03:42 PM
NJT
Tom, I've copied your original posts regarding this boiler problem into this new thread...

Did you get a tech out to look at the system? what was the word on that?

Old 02-02-12, 10:46 AM
F
Yes...tech came out two weeks ago (the problem went away but then came back). They cleaned the system and put in an FB4 filter, new screen and a 75x80 nozzle. That seemed to work for a while until two days ago when a neighbor came over to say there was black smoke coming from the chimney...so they came two days ago and replaced the ingniter...that took care of the smoke but then the same problem arose again...: furnace firing on and immediately off every 20 or 30 seconds even when house temp. is much greater than the thermostat setting...SO, they just came again (during my typing here)...they looked it all over and said that they are not sure but they feel it may be the thermostat itself as they tested the wires on the boiler which connet the thermostat (when the boiler started to fire, they quickly cut the wire connection and it shut down even sooner than usual)...so even though it works properly when setting the temp above the house temp... after the house cools it still fires on and off. They came upstairs and looked at the thermostat, batteries were good, wired correctly... Anyway, on my way to Home Depot to get another thermostat...as they suggested.. ...I'll report back if that was the problem. Thanks, Tom

Old 03-07-12, 01:42 PM
F
End result

Sorry for not updating this situation...It was the thermostat all along.Oh well, next time I will look into the simple stuff first! But I do know a lot more about the system now.
And thanks again to all who responded....(Peter, Trooper, saves, etc.)

Old 03-07-12, 02:31 PM
NJT
I can't recall ever hearing a thermostat causing the reset button on the primary to trip open... or to cause the burner to belch black... but then, perhaps there were two problems! And both got fixed...

Thanks for lettin' us know!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: