Tekmar 400 series

Old 01-16-12, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tekmar 400 series

Hello Everyone,

Anyone have any experience with a Tekmar 40x House Control?
Pro's Con's

The 402 unit has got my attention.
Seems like it can do almost anything, plus it has expansion capabilities.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-12, 01:40 PM
No direct experience, but based on glance through 402 literature and happiness with my existing tekmar, I'd guess it's good. When you go that route, using the tn2 thermostats gives you indoor feedback via pulse width modulation or whatever they use (I think it's PWM), and/or mixing depending on what piping scheme you have.

Old 01-17-12, 02:17 PM
Hello Xiphias,
Thanks for the input.
I think i'm starting to undertand the advanced Tekmar stuff.

The 2 wire thermostats use their network communications. PWM or whatever it is.
The benefit of 2 wire seems mostly for retrotfit, so 4+ wire cables don't have to be re-run to existing thermostats.

Where wiring is not an issue, the 4 wire thermostats can come into play. 2 wires are for the Tekmar network and it appears the other two can work like a conventional thermostat. Being that the literature for the 4 wire stuff says that conventional T stat's can be wired into tn4 devices. Of course this rules out zone sync for any conventional stats.

Anyway the idea of Zone Sync. appeals to me. I have 8 zones, and a typical short cycling problems.

Zone sync seems to be negotiated between thermostats directly, but they have to be tn4's or if a 400-403 is used then they can be tn2's.
The other appeal of the 40x is zone purge. Although it is only for 2 minutes, it is still attractive.

The rest of the 40x capabilities, appear to be similar to all the other Tekmar controls.

I have a basic zone valve system right now.
I really want to add a buffer tank along the lines of a Boiler Buddy and i was thinking the 402 via the mixing control could do boiler protection from the buffer return.

However, upon more reading, i'm afraid it won't work for a buffer. I need to do more research.
Boiler protection from the buffer return...
That would bring me to a combination of the 42x series and a 260. Which gets even more expensive.....hmmm?

The other question i have. The 40x do not use the end switches from the zone valves. I don't know what keeps the pump from dead heading until the a valve opens. As i can not find a setting to delay the the start of the pump. This is strange, because the application drawings show zone vales with out a pressure by-pass valve.

Still working at a solution,
Peter