Lennox Boiler Pipe Premature Rusting

Old 01-17-12, 10:51 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lennox Boiler Pipe Premature Rusting

Hello,
I have a lennox conservator series boiler, model gwb8-e/s. The pipe coming out of the side that carries the hot water is very heavily rusted. The boiler is only 8 years old, and I believe there must be some thing wrong for this pipe to be so rusted already. The company that installed it told me that I need a whole new boiler. Can someone tell me if the part is replaceable and if maybe the heavy corrosion is due to a faulty installation. Thanks.

Pictures can be seen by going to the following page:
http://photobucket.com/lennoxpipe

Old 01-17-12, 11:52 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I don't know if that pipe is replaceable but it is definitely caused by a lousy installation. Where the valve is threaded onto the pipe it has been leaking for a long time.

Old 01-17-12, 02:39 PM
G
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
You don't need a new boiler. That elbow threads into a tapping in the boiler. Remove the side panel so you can see the business end. First, you'll need to cut the copper piper somewhere, and then you'll need a large pipe wrench, e.g. 18" or 24". Then, when you put it back together, apply pipe dope and plenty of torque. You can probably let it go until spring - a schedule 40 steel pipe is way over-designed, pressure-wise, for a hot-water boiler.

I agree with Furd - that connection seems to have been leaking for a long time, probably since it was installed. But where have you, the owner, been all this time? You should make it a habit to inspect the near-boiler piping on a regular basis - and any leaks need to be fixed.

Old 01-17-12, 04:09 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Gil, you sure that elbow is removable? I'm not familiar with Lennox at all... but isn't this a steel boiler, not cast iron? Is it possible that elbow is welded on?

Definitely a long time leaker...

Old 01-17-12, 04:43 PM
G
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Gil, you sure that elbow is removable.
I deduced that from the Lennox website, but they don't have data for that model. As I said, remove the side panel and check everything out, visually.

Old 01-17-12, 06:10 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lennox seems to be one of those 'tight-lipped' companies for some reason... don't tell ya nuthin... Carrier seems to be another.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: