B&G series 100 (dry/new) circulator oil wick chamber: minimum oil level?

Old 01-20-12, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
B&G series 100 (dry/new) circulator oil wick chamber: minimum oil level?

Thanks to advice here, I've repaired my Weil-McLain CGM-5 series 7 boiler (leaking B&G series 100 circulator) by replacing the B&G shaft assembly.

But How MUCH oil should be put into a DRY-when-new wicking chamber? The parts vendor said oil level should not 'fill' the chamber (be below the bottom of the rectangular casting that the cover snaps into). But emptying a B&G tube of oil (the 'recommended annual service' amount) seems to have been entirely absorbed in the initial 'priming' of the dry wicks. There seems to be no oil pooled in bottom of chamber. Should I add more, to at least have a visible minimum 'oil level'?

~ Duane

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-12, 12:23 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The tube of oil that comes with the pump is calibrated to fill the proper amount to each of the motor bearings and then the bearing case. As long as you followed the instructions you are fine. The oil should be absorbed by the wicking and it will then release to "percolate" through the oillite bronze bearing as needed. Re-oil with a few drops to the motor bearings and ten to twenty drops to the bearing case on a yearly basis.

Too much oil in the motor bearings will run out and cover the resilient motor mounting rings and rot the rubber. This will, in turn, cause the motor to tilt and eventually destroy the coupler. Too much oil in the bearing housing will simply run out and make a mess. More of these pumps are ruined by OVER oiling than under oiling. I've seen B&G pumps run 24/7 for years without any servicing at all.

Old 01-20-12, 01:48 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The oil should be absorbed by the wicking and it will then release to "percolate" through the oillite bronze bearing as needed.
I've been told that using detergent oil, etc., will cause the porous bronze bearing sleeves to clog up. Best to use B&G oil, but I think 3-in-1 Electric Motor oil should be OK, too (not just regular 3-in-1 oil).

Old 01-20-12, 04:37 PM
(Furd) Too much oil in the motor bearings will run out and cover the resilient motor mounting rings and rot the rubber. This will, in turn, cause the motor to tilt and eventually destroy the coupler. Too much oil in the bearing housing will simply run out and make a mess. More of these pumps are ruined by OVER oiling than under oiling. I've seen B&G pumps run 24/7 for years without any servicing at all.
Thanks for the insights. Over the years/decades, a 'mess' of oil has dripped from bearing housing (though not in recent years). When you speak of rotting the motor mounting rings rubber (I don't see such at the motor:bearing interface), do you mean the two 4" diamond thick rubber gaskets between the pump body casting (that motor+circulator bolts to) and the boiler in/out pipes? My upper one is 'normal', the lower is oil-saturated degraded rubber (but not leaking or motor-sagging, yet)

Last edited by NJT; 01-20-12 at 04:40 PM. Reason: look for the 'quote' icon, looks like a text baloon
Old 01-20-12, 05:10 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
...do you mean the two 4" diamond thick rubber gaskets between the pump body casting (that motor+circulator bolts to) and the boiler in/out pipes?
Nope, I mean the rubber "donuts" encased in a steel ring at the ends of the motor. This picture shows the pump end and the rear end is similar.

(Image courtesy of Global Industrial.CA)

Old 01-23-12, 08:14 PM
B&G recommends 20 weight, non-detergent oil if not using their oil.