TT Smart Series Indirect & Amtrol SmartControl

Old 01-29-12, 02:41 PM
R
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
TT Smart Series Indirect & Amtrol SmartControl

Hi Folks,

Some of you may recall my previous thread regarding an older Amtrol Boilermate Indirect Tank that was leaking. A new tank being in order, I decided to go in a different direction with a stainless steel model and chose a Triangle Tube Smart40, which is a 36 gallon indirect w/tank-in-tank design.

I was finally able to install the tank this weekend and when it came time to wire up the indirect to the boiler, instead of buying a new relay box, I decided instead to utilize the SmartControl relay box that came with my old Boilermate. Not only is it free, but the Smart Control has some features that I really like, such as DHW Priority, Post Purge, and a Digital Display of the set temp and actual tank temp w/push of button. Not only that, but all the wiring was/is essentially already in place. All I did was remove the temperature switch assembly from the TT unit, including the temp. sensor probe, and replaced it with the Smart Control (which of course also uses a temp. sensor probe). Wired up the indirect pump, and that was it.

From what I can tell so far, the "swap" is working just fine. I just took a LONG, HOT shower and it was GRRRRREAT. Of course, I'll need some more time to monitor the "experiment" before I can judge it a complete success, but I think it'll just be a matter of tweaking the temps settings.

Pictures always tell a better story, so here ya go. Keep in mind the HW tank is installed behind the boiler. I previously had to open up a part of a dividing wall in order to accommodate the indirect-to-boiler piping.

Pic1; Pic2 (Note the Amtrol SmartControl on top of tank)

Pic3 ; Pic 4 (Indirect-Boiler piping)

Pic5 (Front shot of Boiler. The other stack you see in the pic is for the 2nd Floor boiler, which is identical to the Utica MGB that I have on the 1st Floor. The difference is that the 2nd Floor is a conventional "two pipe system", while the 1st Floor - where I live - utilizes a "one-pipe/diverter tee system". Also, if you look above the auto-feed valve on the left-hand side of the pic, you can see where I mounted the Ranco Temperature Control when I did the NJ Trooper Circulator Post Purge Mod.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-12, 04:34 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
What a neat idea! Very clever my friend!

I have heard some stories from the olden days that some of those smart controls may have had defective (at least short lived) electrolytic caps in them. If it ever starts acting up, it's a pretty easy matter to change the electrolytics, but I'm guessing yours is newer than the 'problem' ones.

I just found this:

The problem was a 4.7ufd 50volt capacitor on the board. Some electronic soldering needed but pretty easy. If you let it go too long the relay will fry. 49c rather than $199

Old 01-29-12, 05:26 PM
R
Thanks Troop! I kept thinking about what I was going to do for controls when I was putting together my installation plan. I had pretty much decided on a Taco relay box. Then it popped into my mind - why not just use what you have? My main concern was how the SC remote temp. sensor would handle it's new duty in the well of the new tank. But so far it looks like it's reading the temperature of the water just fine. Like I mentioned, I'll know more as the days go by.

I'm aware of the problems Amtrol had with the SC a few years back. Seems like they might have had a bad run of units. There's some good info on the subject HERE. Although I'm thinking that my older Boilermate pre-dated that period. But it's good to know there's a mod/fix out there. And if worse comes to worse, if I can't repair it, no big deal. With nothing to lose, I'll just toss it away and move on.

Old 01-29-12, 05:44 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yep, after the 3rd one went on mine (2 under warranty, one bought by me) I used the dial control instead.

Old 01-29-12, 06:42 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I think that note about the cap I quoted came from that thread.

I've spoken with Jeff at Amtrol myself... good guy!

I'll just toss it away and move on.
Let me know which can it's in...

Old 01-29-12, 07:02 PM
R
Let me know which can it's in...
Will do. I'm sure an allegedly "spent" relay box is better off in your hands than at the bottom of some trash can.