hydronic loop?

Old 01-30-12, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hydronic loop?

i am going to be working with an off job contractor so i can do a lot of the plumbing to get experience in hvac. i want to know if i should have all the supply and return in a pattern to prevent pressure drops or if i should have the supply and returns on separate sides of the hydronic loops? here is a video of having the supply and return in a pattern.

Buderus boiler installation - twelve zones - YouTube

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-12, 07:41 AM
Depends on the need.
In the set-up like the video, the water temps are going to get lower and lower and lower the further away from the boiler the zones get.
In some applications this can be usefull, depending upon the radiation and the heat loss of the zones.
If the zones are all piped in parallel, then all the supplies will have the same temperatures.
IMO this makes for a better balanced system.
There are also cases where a combinattion of both methods can be used.
Again it all depends on the radiation installed, high temp, low temp, etc. and the heat loss of zones.

Pressure drops are determined by pipe, length, size and pump size.

To add, a system like in the video, is totally obsolete and highly waste full of electricity, in the age of delta P pumps like the Alpha or Statos

Peter

Old 01-30-12, 01:58 PM
Wow. I can only imagine what the electric bill must be, and the amount of waste heat produced by all those circulators. Particularly since it's using ODR and thus targeting constant circulation. Wasteful indeed. If/when they are all on, that would be nearly 900 Watts.

But even before the age of ECM pumps, this is poor design. Better option would have been low-draw zone valves, a single circulator, and a differential bypass valve.

Old 01-30-12, 03:25 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah... that's not a good example to use.

I would be very careful of using what you see on the internet as educational aids. You would be much better off to take some courses. If you want to learn about this yourself, I would recommend that you spend the bucks and get a copy of this book:

Amazon.com: Modern Hydronic Heating: For Residential and Light Commercial Buildings (9781428335158): John Siegenthaler: Books

If you order, make CERTAIN that you get the latest edition, published in 2011, NOT the 2003 edition!

Read and study! Come back here and ask questions if you like...