electric boiler that has a built in water reservoir?

Old 01-31-12, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas vs electric boiler

i want to know if an electric boiler can produce the same amount of hot water as a gas boiler or does the gpm have to be slower on an electric boiler then a gas boiler? i just do not see how an electric boiler can produce as much hot water as a gas boiler even if they are the same btu rated. electric water heaters take forever to heat up compared to gas water heaters so i am wandering this with boilers.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-12, 10:18 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
i just do not see how an electric boiler can produce as much hot water as a gas boiler even if they are the same btu rated.
How come? Why would an example 50K BTU electric have less output than the same rating gas?

electric water heaters take forever to heat up compared to gas water heaters so i am wandering this with boilers.
Yes... but wouldn't this be because they do NOT have the same BTU rating?

A typical electric water heater has a 4500 W heating element.

There are (appx) 3410 BTU per KWH.

4.5KW * 3410 is approximately 15K BTUH.

Most gas water heaters are MUCH higher than that...

So, you aren't comparing apples to apples...

Last edited by NJT; 01-31-12 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-31-12, 11:44 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Trooper is absolutely correct. Most residential gas-fired water heaters have burners rated at 35,000 to 40,000 BTU/hr. That makes the energy input some 2-1/2 to 3 times that of an electric water heater. Add in that a boiler is built differently than a water heater and effects the heat transfer in a more efficient manner.

I've worked with some electric boilers and there is no doubt about the speed of operation. The historical museum where I volunteer has a 500 kW electric steam boiler (1,706,500 BTU/hr.) and that baby can go from cold to 50 psi in about ten minutes or less.

Old 01-31-12, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electric boiler that has a built in water reservoir?

it seems that the electric boilers act as a tankless water heater but the older gas hot water boilers have a built in buffer tank. i know the electric steam boilers got the water reservoir but are there any electric hot water boilers that have a reservoir? and why do the old gas boilers hold a lot of water but not the new ones?

Old 01-31-12, 03:45 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't see any reason why all these questions can't go into one single thread, do you? So, I'm going to merge them into one. Please ask your questions in that one thread.

Old 01-31-12, 05:05 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
There are 3410 BTU per KW.
Per kWh, not kW. Or, Btu/hr, not Btu.

As Trooper and Furd indicate, a Btu of heat is identically the same, whether produced by electriciy, gas, or any fuel. There is no difference.

Last edited by NJT; 01-31-12 at 05:39 PM. Reason: thanks, I fixed...