Pool Heater Gas Valve won't open

Old 02-03-12, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Pool Heater Gas Valve won't open

I am trying to turn on a Honeywell gas valve to my pool heater. 12 o'clock is off and 9 o'clock is on. The valve will move slightly, but something is keeping it from turning. It is not the normal push and turn type of valve.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting the valve to turn?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-12, 06:28 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What model number is the valve George?

Old 02-03-12, 08:10 PM
Model of valve

The pool heater is a Versa Spa 50,000 BTU Heater Model B-R055B-EN Serial # 0609176821 made by Raypac. The best I can tell from the manual is that there is a wiring diagram labeled 152178 Model 055 llD, but this number may be for the combined valve and solid state devices. The heater is a natural gas heater. It appears that the company part number in the manual is 003900F. The heater lights automatically.

I can't find a number on the valve since it is crammed in the bottom of the heater. I do have the serial number

Old 02-04-12, 09:40 AM
NJT
I found the manual for your heater on-line at Raypak.com ...

I don't see anything there that indicates the reason for your not being able to turn the valve to ON.

I'm sure you already have this, but in case not, and if anyone else wants to take a look:

http://globalimageserver.com/fetchDo...9-ef427916a47a

From what you have said so far, it seems that you do NOT have the 'standing pilot' model, but the one that has the automatic ignition, correct? The valve that is shown on page 8 of the manual?

And there is also an electronic ignition module, perhaps an S8600 Honeywell?

Old 02-04-12, 10:05 AM
You are correct. It is the automatic model. I just talked to a pool installer who installs these pools and he told me that he can't think of any reason the valve would not open. He suggested that I spray the valve with wd-40, and that might help. I am very leary about spraying oil around a natural gas valve, and I doubt if the oil will reach the valve since there is a plastic cover surrounding the plastic cylinder that you turn to open and close the valve. Perhaps I could remove the tamper screws and then the plastic cover to see what' inside. He also suggested that I might want to try forcing it with a pair of Vice Grip pliars, again it's plastic!

Old 02-04-12, 10:17 AM
NJT
I believe you will need to replace that valve... and a caution from Honeywell:

2. Do not force the gas control knob on the appliance.
Use only your hand to turn the gas control
knob. Never use any tools. If the knob will
not operate by hand, replace the control using a
qualified service technician. Force or attempted
repair can result in fire or explosion.

Old 02-04-12, 10:20 AM
NJT
I posted my warning as you were posting your last...

NO! Do NOT follow the advice a pool installer when it comes to this problem! You are very correct about being leary. Please don't kill yourself or family, or burn your home down!

Your installer is IGNORANT about this issue! He is NOT QUALIFIED to give advice on a gas burning appliance!

He suggested that I spray the valve with wd-40, and that might help. I am very leary about spraying oil around a natural gas valve, and I doubt if the oil will reach the valve since there is a plastic cover surrounding the plastic cylinder that you turn to open and close the valve. Perhaps I could remove the tamper screws and then the plastic cover to see what' inside. He also suggested that I might want to try forcing it with a pair of Vice Grip pliars, again it's plastic!

Old 02-04-12, 10:25 AM
Smile Problem Solved!

Thanks to Sears for their new double jointed Crescent offset needle nose pliars! I was able to put a fairly large constant pressure on the knob, and it gradually, and I mean very gradually, opened! I was afraid I would break it if I applied any more force. Gas valve open - heater works again!

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf! I often wonder why I always get the weard problems.

It was especially important that I get the heater repaired since the pool is needed by myself and my wife for medical reasons.

Thanks again!

George
P.S. If you haven't seen these pliars, go take a look. They are 13 inches long and designed with a double joint to be used in deep locations.

Old 02-04-12, 10:30 AM
NJT
George...

PLEASE! PLEASE! have that gas valve replaced!

Seriously... I can't stress this enough... GAS IS EXPLOSIVE AND FLAMMABLE!

DON't TAKE THE CHANCE!