Burnham boiler

Old 02-08-12, 03:00 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham boiler

I have a Burnham hot water boiler and I don't really know much about. We have a two level house and the one upstairs bedroom is always cold as heck. My question is there are two valves one for hotwater which I assume is the water that is going up to heat the upstairs. There is another valve that is the cold line return? The water lines that go to the upstairs one should be hot and the other could be cold or cool right? I hooked a hose up to the cold valve thinking I could bleed the line from there?

Old 02-08-12, 03:23 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
You may be able to do what you tried, but you will have to turn some other valves...

Before you do that, tell us a little bit more. What is the MODEL of the boiler?

There is a pressure and temperature gauge on the boiler, please tell us what the readings on the gauge are. You may not have enough pressure in the system to raise the water to the upstairs.

If you can take a bunch of CLEAR IN FOCUS, WELL LIGHTED, LARGE ENOUGH TO SEE DETAILS photos, this will help us help you.

Set up a FREE account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload the pics to a PUBLIC album there. Come back here and post a link to your album so we can view.

Take photos of all the piping and valves around the boiler, and also STAND BACK and take several from a few different angles so we can relate all the pics together.

Old 02-08-12, 04:21 PM
C
I don't know what model the furnace is other than a Burnham Holiday boiler. There isn't a temp gauge or pressure gauge so I have no idea what the pressure would be. The furnace is old probably at least 35yrs old I would guess and like said I don't know much about it. It's been a good furnace considering we haven't had any problems with it. Here is a picture of the valves I was talking about. There are two red valves and a blue one and I assume that the blue one is for the cold or cool water return?
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/DSCN1480.jpg

Old 02-08-12, 04:25 PM
D
So these pipes, are they both cold? What type of radiator is this? Baseboard, cast iron radiator?

Old 02-08-12, 04:51 PM
NJT
You gotta take more pictures... that one shot won't do.

Old 02-08-12, 05:35 PM
C
Yes it's baseboard heat and the pipe with the red valve is hot but, so is the pipe with the blue valve. I'm thinking the blue valve pipe should be cold return shouldn't it?

Old 02-08-12, 05:52 PM
Received 40 Votes on 34 Posts
Unless your heating water is smarter than mine it does not know the color of valve handles and that if it is hot it goes to red and if it is cold it goes to blue.
Actually they are both cold returns.

Old 02-08-12, 06:09 PM
NJT
I've never heard of a boiler that didn't have a pressure gauge... rbeck, was there no gauge on the old Holiday boilers?

Old 02-09-12, 06:32 AM
C
Ok I took some more pictures and yes there is a pressure and temp gauge. I was looking for a external gauge on the outside of the furnace but, it's built into the top which I didn't see. It's reading about 25 psi of pressure and 150 degrees.
I'm not sure if that's the normal amount of pressure? If it's not how do I increase the pressure?

Here are more pictures.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/DSCN1484.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/DSCN1485.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/DSCN1486.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...4/DSCN1482.jpg

Old 02-09-12, 02:42 PM
NJT
Judging by what I see in the pics, I have ZERO FAITH that gauge is reading properly.

You don't want to do anything with the pressure until you verify that your gauge is accurate. To do this you would need to either replace the existing gauge, or put one together that can screw onto one of the boiler drain fittings in order to be sure your gauge is accurate.

Please visit this link for more information about pressure gauges:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Your system is in need of some maintenance and repairs. Several of the valves appear to have been or currently are leaking (evidence the whitish/greenish mineral deposits and the rust on top of the boiler). Chances are that your expansion tank is not operating properly. I am willing to bet that the burners are covered with dust and debris... It would be wise to embark on a program to whip that puppy back into shape.

Last edited by NJT; 02-09-12 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 06:12 PM
C
Still doesnt answer my question about the cold water return. The water line with the red valve is hot but, the line with the blue valve is also hot, so I'm wondering if it suppose be hot or cold?

Old 02-12-12, 06:50 PM
NJT
I'm not sure which pipes you are talking about...

When the heat is running, and the pump is pumping, the HOT supply line out the top of the boiler will be about 20 hotter than the lines returning the water to the boiler.

The water will never cool completely as it goes through the baseboards.

The term 'cold water return' is kind of misleading, because it won't be COLD.

Old 02-12-12, 07:00 PM
NJT
I just looked at the pics again...

The pipes in the back, the ones with the electric valves on them appear to be the HOTTER supply lines out of the boiler, leading up to the heat emitters.

The pipes in the foreground that lead down to the pump appear to be the RETURN lines.

As I said, if all is OK, they ALL will be HOT, but the RETURN will be slightly cooler.

Does the line to the upstairs go through that green electric zone valve? When the upstairs is calling for heat, does the line to the upstairs get hot all the way to where you can't follow it any more?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: