I Have No Heat and I'm Freeeezing!!

Old 02-19-12, 03:49 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So the next step is to verify the pressure?

here are a few closeups of the side.

Old 02-19-12, 04:10 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
You've been "freezing" now since Feb. 11, two weeks ago. Maybe you should forget trying to solve this problem over the internet, and call in somebody in person?

Old 02-19-12, 05:54 PM
R
Will you be sending me a check for extra hundreds if not thousands of dollars that I will likely be overcharged by a professional that will tell me to replace the whole unit when the problem can be solved for hopefully under $100?

As I said in the thread (which Im assuming you haven't read), it hasn't been that cold here lately. Yes, I said "freezing," but it was a title for a thread. It was uncomfortably cold, though not freezing (below 32F in the house), and I apologize if I misled you. My mom (and bro) have heaters, and they don't have an issue using in the meantime. I personally was a little cold, because I don't have a heater, but it's not a big deal, especially since I'm home 1-2 days a week (I live at school).

My mom would just call someone and do whatever he said and end up paying WAAY too much. I don't know about this stuff, but if I know what the problem is I can usually fix it with some online help. My hot water boiler gave out last year, and it cost me $15 and about 30 mins to replace the thermocouple, and a "professional" came in and told us to replace the unit.

I didn't know about that issue either, and it was diagnosed via the internet, and in doing so, I saved my mom $500.

Also, like I said in the thread, if it gets cold again, then we'll have to call a pro. But until then, my mom made it clear that she doesn't have a problem with it.

Old 02-19-12, 06:11 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
So the next step is to verify the pressure?
Yes.

On the pipe leading to the pressure reducing valve there is a manual hand shutoff valve. Is that valve open or closed?

Old 02-19-12, 07:06 PM
R
Ok. I won't be home until the weekend so I'll let you know then. I appreciate all your help trooper

Old 03-13-12, 02:36 PM
R
So just an update. IDK what the problem was, but last week somebody came and fixed it for cheap. My mom said that it took him less than 1/2 an hour. I'm not sure what was wrong, but at least they didn't ask us to replace anything.

Thanks for the help trooper.

Old 03-13-12, 03:10 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I sorta doubt that anything is actually 'fixed', but at least he got it 'working' at minimal cost.

Darn good thing it was a warm winter! I bet those electric bills were astronomical... hopefully offset by the decreased fuel use in the boiler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: