ez to install new gauge in oil tank?

Old 02-20-12, 01:12 PM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
ez to install new gauge in oil tank?

since oil is so expensive, i only buy 150 gallons at a time usually. however, i just realized that unless my 1st tank is totally full, the oil will not use the connector pipe at the top of the tanks and get to the back tank.

the gauge is at the back tank, thus, it's useless to me in this circumstance. and now i worry about how much i have left..i did just have 150 in today and banging on the side, i cannot tell the difference in pitch to see where it may have filled to.

i do see a hole on the top of the 1st tank and it appears you just unscrew it and can drop in a new gauge but is that something that lowes carries? or where would you go for such a thing

i do know that when i had a full service dealer, they did put in a new gauge and whistle? back in 2008 on the 2nd tank but i never thought i'd need a gauge in the 1st until now.

Old 02-20-12, 03:15 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I would think that if you googled "fuel oil tank gauge" you would be treated to a plethora of gauges for sale. Ask your dealer if he'll sell you one, might save the shipping.

Then, there's always the graduated stick and a tank chart!

Old 02-20-12, 05:52 PM
L
i just thought of something..is it even allowed to put a gauge on that tank ..just realized the high pressure the 1st tank must be under to force the oil up and over to the 2nd tank

curious if a gauge is meant to be under that amount of stress without leaking

Old 02-20-12, 05:59 PM
NJT
Huh? There better not be pressure in either of the tanks! How are they hooked up?

Old 02-20-12, 06:18 PM
L
i think it's about a 2 inch pipe that comes out of the top of the fill tank...the oil fills up tank one then goes up a few inches out of tank one. over a few feet thru a pipe then down into tank 2 which has the gauge (at least i believe this is how it works since today the gauge didnt go up after 150 were put in)

so if i never fill tank one, no oil can go to tank 2, just never realized that before today.

the tanks drain simultaneously out the bottom of each by pipes connected with a "Y" so even if i filled tank 1 with 275 gallons, unless i filled it more, tank 2 would never get oil. there are 2 shutoffs at the bottom of the tanks but i dont ever need to touch them

i did do a total fill in oct when oil was the bargain price of 3.02 lol

Last edited by luckydriver; 02-20-12 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Unless there is a check valve to prevent oil from flowing from one tank to the other, they will equalize, in time, via the bottom connection. The fill set up on your tanks is quite common. I hope the vent is on the second tank & the crossover is 2".

Old 02-20-12, 07:29 PM
L
yes 2 inch and vent on non fill tank..i doubt there's a checkvalve

sooo how long does this take to equalize...so i guess in time my gauge will be accurate?

this would be good news...

Old 02-21-12, 10:21 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
How fast the tank levels will equalize is dependent upon the size of the bottom connecting pipe. If all you have is two valves with 3/8 inch copper tubing flared connections it will take a fair amount of time, maybe a few hours or more to equalize. If you have 1/2 inch steel pipe then probably only an hour or so and if you have 2 inch pipe it will equalize almost as fast as it is being filled.

Old 02-21-12, 04:05 PM
NJT
with 3/8 inch copper tubing flared connections it will take a fair amount of time, maybe a few hours or more to equalize
It wouldn't surprise me to find it takes a whole day or more! I once tried siphoning 5 gall from my tank with 3/8 tubing. It took about an hour!

Old 02-21-12, 09:16 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Easy, NJT.
Or more.
I have multiple 330g tanks, and a few times one was full and the other shut of, it took about 2-3 days to equalize.
Lucky,
Once they are eualized, assuming they are level and equal height off the floor, whatever the gauge is reading - just double it and that will be what you have for oil.

Peter

Old 02-25-12, 09:36 AM
L
went out today to check and sure enough it raised about 1/4 tank on the 2nd tank...but since i didnt look at it all week i have no idea how long it actually took..at least i know i can rely on the gauge now...after a few days science is amazing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: