Service Quality Opinions Needed

Old 02-23-12, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Service Quality Opinions Needed

Hello All,
Moving ahead with the Boiler Buddy project.
Wonding if you have any strong opinions one way or the other for on-line suppliers.
Pex Universe
vs
Pex Supply.
or
?

Pex supply seems to have the best prices, but not always.
I'm not sure if they are the most reliable?

Thanks,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-12, 02:53 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I have used PexSupply many times, with good luck. No experience with Pex Universe.

Old 02-23-12, 03:25 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I've had good and bad with pexsupply. I won't use them again myself. If you DO use them, CALL and CONFIRM that what you ordered is in stock, because they won't tell you otherwise.

I'm kinda partial to Patriot Supply. They won't BS you. If you need to call, you don't get a high school kid answering, you get the service desk. Their prices are a tad higher, but IMHO, it's worth it.

Know nothing about the Universe.

Old 02-23-12, 03:38 PM
Pexsupply.. super fast. No issues.

Yes, some things are not in stock, but they are drop shipped from the manufacturer in my experience. Wait time for something like that is 5-7 business days, which isn't bad.. until you consider I usually have all the other stuff the next day.

Old 02-23-12, 05:03 PM
I won't use them again myself.
Must'a been really bad.

Peter

Old 02-23-12, 05:13 PM
NJT
Really bad... I dunno... some would argue that fact. I don't wanna drag them down too badly, because by and large, my experience has been positive with them. I just don't like being bullpooped, and that's what happened.

As long as you confirm that your items are in stock, there will be no problem.

I'll say no more.

Old 02-23-12, 05:24 PM
I think I probably had the same issue as NJT.. the site makes it seems like everything is in stock, when in fact it is not.

I did get an email promptly when something was not in stock and it was drop shipped. Again, the wait time was less than a week, and it happened on more than 1 item.

As for calling.. when you do find their number I would not expect to get anything but an answering machine.

I think the reality is when you sell with such a small margin, you simply cannot provide the best customer service. If you pay a higher premium, the supplier can afford to actually have the phones staffed.

That being said, for projects that are planned I have no reservations with using pexsupply. Typically I get stuff at my doorstep the next day, 2nd day at latest. If it's Wednesday and I know I absolutely need something Friday I would probably just go to the local supply house, as you are never really sure if something is in stock at pexsupply.

Old 02-23-12, 05:30 PM
Hi Tim,
So when they partial ship/drop ship items, do they charge you multiple delivery charges?
Or nothing,
Or??

Peter

Old 02-23-12, 05:42 PM
NJT
the site makes it seems like everything is in stock, when in fact it is not.
VERY common for on-line retailers. One of the problems of buying on-line.

You will get a person when you call, but I doubt if they would know the difference between a nozzle and a needle. (clerk at a keyboard)

I never got an email, and it was not an insubstantial order ... yes, I did check my spam filters. These delays went on for over a month. I eventually cancelled the order and went to Patriot and had the entire order 2 days later.

I don't think there's an extra charge for shipping.

Old 02-23-12, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I've never dealt with any of them but I've never heard a bad word about Patriot.

Old 02-24-12, 06:32 AM
Hello Guy's,
Tim, NJT, Doug, Grady,
Thanks for the comments.

Anyone ever heard of myrubberneck.com ?
The prices for the Webstone line are amazing.
Webstone Valves.Entire Product Catalog - Best Price PROMISE

I think i'm going to give them a try.

Peter

Old 02-24-12, 03:33 PM
NJT
Take advantage of the ' 5off ' coupon code!

They certainly do have a varied line up! Surprised they don't sell banjos too!

The few Webstone prices I checked, Patriot had them beat by a couple bucks each. Maybe the free shipping will make up for that?

Rubberhose 15.27
Patriot 12.31
PexSupply 11.57

Old 02-24-12, 05:45 PM
Thanks NJT,

I'll have to check more carefully, the two or three thing i looked at were much less.

Peterr

Old 03-02-12, 05:16 PM
Hi Peter,

sorry for the delayed response to your question.

No, there are no extra shipping charges for multiple shipments.

Here is an example email I got from them:

The following item(s) from your order PEX123456, are on back order from the manufacturer.
We have provided lead times below:
ITEM QTY EXPECTED TO SHIP IN

3/4" Sweat Union Mixing Valve (LF)

SKU: AM101-US-1LF Brand: Honeywell-Sparco
1 7-10 Business Days

Old 03-02-12, 05:31 PM
If I cannot source something at one of my two local supply houses (for a reasonable price), then and only then will I go online.

Case in point was Alphas last year. Local supply house could get them, but it was gonna be nearly double what they cost online, and a lot more than what my local supply house guy said they ought to cost. He was very apologetic but was stuck at his point in this particular distribution chain. So I got them at pexsupply, IIRC. They had a stock number goof and sent me a very nice pair of honking big stainless circulators, which of course were returned, but they cross-shipped and were quick about crediting my return.

Nothing like having a good relationship with the locals, and for most situations well worth a small price premium when it occurs (they also can be the source of bargains and sometimes freebies, too!). They have been an invaluable source of materials, knowledge, the occasional "hey can you stay open an extra 10 minutes til I get off work" favor, etc. etc. I like to support our locals whenever possible and reasonable. Especially the good ones.

Old 03-02-12, 08:29 PM
Xiphias,
Overall i agree with you about doing business locally.
10% maybe 15% and i agree it is worth it. Beyond that however, it gets to be significant sums of money.
The other problem is, i always get the feeling, that not being a trade plumber, that they are going to try and charge me as much as they think they can get away with. After all what recourse do i have? And how can i know for sure if i'm getting a good price. I can't exactly take 10's of thousands of dollars worth of business to the guy down the street.
I left it with the the guy at supply house, i dealt with for the Boiler Buddy, that i would drop off a large list of items i'm in need of, for them to quote on. Between the weather and other issues, i haven't got to it just yet.
I'm curious to see how they compare to online.

Peter

Old 04-13-12, 05:44 PM

Hello Friends,
A report on purchasing.

As usual, Mr. Xiphias is right.

The local/regional plumbing supply - Peabod Supply, in general has prices no more than 10% more than internet sellers. Some things are the same or less. This week there were significanlty lower than HomeD on M copper tubing, by a lot.
The service is outstanding! The treat you right, no bs and i'm fairly sure they are giving me as good a pricing as they can. They even put the stuff in the car/truck for you.

In the next town over there is another local/regional supply - Granite Goup. Again the service is truely outstanding, they know their stuff for sure. At the Granite Group, all the Tekmar stuff was quite a bit lower in cost than the lowest internet seller-Pex Supply! Given that i splurged on a lot of extravagant extras! For the most part they were quite a bit less than Peabody supply, but more on copper. They were the same, sometimes less and sometimes a little bit more that interent suppliers. Car loading there too. Excellent!

Pex Universe. - Fastest free delivery, lowest prices on the net, but a relatively limited selection. I ordered suff Wed. afternoon and it came FedX Ground the next afternoon!! However they screwed up the order, nothing major, and i'm sure if i did not call them, i would have been screwed. The nice girl on the phone promised me a complete resolution. We'll see....

Pex Supply, as noted here, the were out of stock on item i ordered that the web site said were in stock. Only a couple of things. They sent an e-mail with the projected shipping date and shipped the rest of the order. UPS Ground takes two week days to get here, not bad. We'll see the results Monday.
I had to take the chance 'cause 15 dollar copper fitting at both local supplies, were under 10 at Home depot and near 5 from Pex Supply.!

Patriot Supply - As NJT has said, certainly the best service, no question. The ESBE valve i ordered was discontinued. I got an e-mail within the hour explaining this to me and the part numbers for the replacement, which was happily less expensive. They had the valve in stock and had to order the thermostat. Said it would take 7-10 business days and then they would ship the whole order, on my approval. I wrote back ok. Got a confimation email.
Less then a week later, everything arrived!! 2 day UPS shipping. Reasonable cost.

Peter