Leaking Boiler

Old 02-26-12, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Leaking Boiler

I have an older Slant Fin V150 Boiler - Natural gas Unit. It was leaking through the relief valve. I changed the valve, and it is still losing water. I checked for leaks, but could not find any. After inspecting the new relief valve, it looks like it pops speratically until the boiler pressure eventually goes to 0. This process takes anywhere from 6 hours to 3 days. When its colder out it loses pressure faster, and needs to be refilled.

The previous owner installed the system, and I dont think it was done exactly right. The expansion valve is installed off of the air seperator, but is installed upside down (the air vent valve is on the top)?? there is also a air vent valve that has water in the stem area, but does not drip or puddle (slow leak ??). The water feed was installed with no pressure reducing valve (and is not used), maybe because it feeds from a well (about 30 PSI ??).

I have called several companies out to look at it, but nobody in my area seems to be good at boilers, as most people seem to have forced air. They even gave me a quote of 500 dollars to refill the boiler, without even diagnosing the problem... I am good at plumbing and think I can fix it with te proper guidance.

When I fill the water back into the boiler it fires up and works for a while, but seems to cycle on and off more than it used to. It used to come on and stay on until it hit the desired heat on the thermostat. Now it seems to cycle on and off eventually hitting the desired temperature if the water doesnt run out first.

need help...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-12, 01:43 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think pics are the best thing here... because I'm confuzzled by your descriptions.

Take IN FOCUS, WELL LIGHTED, LARGE ENOUGH TO SEE DETAILS pictures and upload them to a site such as Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket . Come back here and post a link to your PUBLIC album for us to view.

Also, click the following link and read:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Old 02-26-12, 01:49 PM
NJT
I'm not sure that what you are calling the expansion valve is correct... I think you mean expansion TANK? and if it was installed off an air scoop, then that would have to be also installed wrong for the tank to be upside down...

Take pics of all that stuff...

also pics of how the feed water for the boiler is piped in. There MUST be a valve on that pipe! If you have no pressure reducing valve there, then the valve should only be opened when you need to add water to the boiler system.

Further, if you have a well system that runs at that low of a pressure, you darn well better invest in a BACKFLOW PREVENTER unless you want to be drinking the water in your boiler!

confused!

Old 02-26-12, 01:51 PM
NJT
They even gave me a quote of 500 dollars to refill the boiler,
Good Gawd... where do you live? Scheisterville? That's outrageous.

Old 02-26-12, 04:58 PM
I will post the pics. I was referring to the expansion tank, not valve sorry, its a Amtrol model 109 with a valve attached, but it is upside down. the water feed comes from the well into the valve hooked up to the expansion tank.

I have put a shut off to that until I can install back flow preventer.

Old 02-26-12, 05:16 PM
NJT
Well, the 109 is the FILL-TROL model, and the pressure reducing valve is built into the valve that the tank is installed on. That tank is NOT the same as the ones on the shelf at HD and LOWES ... and none of the suppliers around here carry them either. Replacement tanks need to be special ordered because they have a special feature that operates the valve they are attached to.

Read all about it here:

http://www.amtrol.com/media/document...l/filltrol.pdf

and here:

http://www.amtrol.com/media/document...ILLTROL_IO.pdf

Although it's not ideal to mount those tanks sideways or upside down, they will still work... maybe not as long as they should, but they will work.

Old 02-26-12, 05:25 PM
here's some pics i took with my phone

Old 02-26-12, 05:31 PM
I pushed on the expansion tank valve and some moisture came out with the air, not sure if thats normal. I was going to take the pressure out of the system tomorrow and test the pressure on the tank with a guage, off work tomorrow so I was hoping to work on the boiler. very frustrating...

Old 02-26-12, 05:35 PM
any suggestions on what kind of BACKFLOW PREVENTER to install ?

Old 02-26-12, 05:50 PM
NJT
That system used to have one of the large steel tanks in the joists above the boiler, that's why the tapping on the top of that air scoop is as large as it is. Someone changed over to this system at a later date.

I think the first thing you need to do is determine if your pressure gauge is accurate. Read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

some moisture came out with the air, not sure if thats normal.
Probably not.

Read and understand how your Fill-Trol system works before messing with the tank pressure. It is the pressure in the tank that determines how much pressure is in the boiler.

That system needs a lot of maintenance.

Old 02-26-12, 05:54 PM
NJT
what kind of BACKFLOW PREVENTER
Most commonly used is the Watts 9D I think.

Patriot Supply - 0061935

Old 03-02-12, 07:07 AM
Boiler repairs

I installed a new expansion tank with the new fill valve Extrol - 109, a new air relief valve (honeywell), a new back flow preventor valve, an extra shut off - specific to the boiler fill, added water, bled the system, and its been running fine for 3 days now (hopefully fixed for a while).

The old expansion tank had no pressure and was filled with water (was from 1994 according to the date code).

Took some elbow grease and a little bit of effort, but wasn't that bad to install at all.

thanks for the advise/help...

Old 03-02-12, 10:24 AM
NJT
Good job Chas! You should be OK for a while, yes. Do check the new expansion tank every year or two for proper air charge and it will last a LOT longer!