Hot water won't stop circulating

Old 02-27-12, 11:22 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water won't stop circulating

I have a problem with one of my zones on an oil fired boiler. The water continues to circulate even though there is no power to the circulator. Has anyone heard of this? Is there something I can do to fix it, short of installing a zone valve? thanks

Old 02-27-12, 04:08 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
I have a problem with one of my zones
Does this imply that your system actually has zones?

I'm a little confused because you mention 'installing a zone valve' .

Two ways to zone a system, with one pump and electric zone valves, or one pump for each zone, which do you have?

If you are getting heat when the pump is not running, it is due to 'gravity' or 'thermo-siphon' or 'ghost' flow, whichever name you prefer.

This occurs because hot water is less dense and more buoyant than cold water and will 'float' up into the piping and push the cold water back to the boiler.

This is generally remedied by installation of 'flow check' valves, but this is usually done at installation of the system.

Do you perhaps already have flow check valves and one is stuck open?

Have you lived in the home long enough to know the history of the problem? Is this something new? Has it been going on forever?

Old 02-27-12, 04:32 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a pump for each zone. The system was installed resently.
I don't know if check valves were installed. I will look into it.
Thank you for your help.

Old 02-27-12, 05:07 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Each zone needs a flow check valve.

Depending on the pumps used, it might be possible to simply replace them with models that contain an 'Internal Flow Check' valve, look for FC or IFC in the pump model number.

If there are already valves installed, and are the variety that has the knob on them, make sure all the knobs are turned fully clockwise. It might be as simple as one being left in the 'manual open' position.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: