air eliminator for hydronic system

Old 03-12-12, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air eliminator for hydronic system

i tried to search for the answer to question on this forum, but didn't find a exactly what i'm looking for.

it seems that there are multiple designs for air removal devices for closed loop hydronic system (looking at pex supply web site):

Air Eliminators , Taco Air Scoops , Spirovent Air Eliminator - PexSupply.com

do all of them perform the same function? can either of them be used in residential hydronic systems?

is there specific type/model that is preferred on this board?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-12, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
They all try to perform the same job to remove trapped air. Some are better then others. Some are just a wing inside to disturb the air bubble and deflect it up to the top where the air vent releases it.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Taco-400-4-1-8-Hy-Vent

O
thers are scrubber types that have a type of coil spring inside to separate the air better. They have air vents attached to them also.

A lot of older installs don't have the air scoops and just have air vents at high points in the system to purge the air out.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Air-Valves-300000

M
ike NJ

Old 03-12-12, 03:28 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
One of our esteemed members recently brought up a good point about the Taco 'Vortech' unit. Since the air vent screws down into a 'well' on top, they can leak and corrode for a long time without being detected.

I think either the Spirovent or the Taco 4900 would be my choices.

Old 03-12-12, 08:01 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
One of our esteemed members recently brought up a good point about the Taco 'Vortech' unit. Since the air vent screws down into a 'well' on top, they can leak and corrode for a long time without being detected.
Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on that. I have a Vortech unit on my home system. Fortunately, it's mounted only about waist high, so it's easy to view the top.

A major advertised benefit of the Vortech (aside from removing air quicker than a conventional air separator) is that you don't need a minimum pipe run into it nor out of it, which of course is useful in tight quarters. That is, in fact, a big reason why I chose it.

Old 03-13-12, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
guys, thank you for your replies.

one more question. if a boiler has 1-1/4" water connections and hydronic system has 3/4" pipes all around, I assume things like air eliminator supposed to be sized to match water connection of the boiler? does it matter at all?

Old 03-14-12, 08:29 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Doesn't matter - except either way, you will need to tee it down to the size of the air eliminator connection, so starting from 3/4" would be easier.

I assume you have a bladder-type expansion tank, as opposed to a conventional steel tank. With the conventional tank, no air eliminator should be installed - it will cause the tank to become waterlogged.