Will the Honeywell 6006A Aquastat do what I need to be done?

Old 03-17-12, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Will the Honeywell 6006A Aquastat do what I need to be done?

I have installed an indirect hot water tank (Wagner Secusol, combination solar w/ boiler backup) which is backed up by my oil fired boiler. The tankless coil that USED to heat my hot water is going to be used by a new radiant floor closed system that is hooked up but not online yet. The solar hot water is also not yet online but the boiler backup IS online. The problem is that, when the indirect aquastat calls for heat for the hot water and my oil burner turns on to supply it, my furnace keeps running and finally produces steam instead of cutting out at the high limit the plumber set.

He thinks I have the wrong aquastat on the boiler. Do I?

AND... aren't the two aquastats (the one on the indirect and the 6006A on the boiler) supposed to work together? The boiler heating up to the high limit (I think 180-190 degrees) and then stopping the burner while the circulator pump keeps circulating the water through the indirect's heat exchanger until the potable hot water reaches the 130 degree setting?

Do I have the right honeywell aquastat (The 6006A). I am a noob here and my plumber is out of his depth I think.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-12, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Some more information would help. What kind of aquastat does the indirect tank use? How is it wired up? Are there any relays invloved? What tells the boiler/burner to fire when the indirect aquastat calls for heat?

Old 03-18-12, 08:23 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The tankless coil that USED to heat my hot water is going to be used by a new radiant floor closed system
Doesn't sound like a proper plan to me. Why would you do that? Pipe it in a normal fashion off the boiler water with a tempering valve. Abandon the coil and convert the boiler to a cold start.

I hope that you have used the correct tubing ( O[SUP]2[/SUP] barrier tubing ) for the radiant system.

when the indirect aquastat calls for heat for the hot water and my oil burner turns on to supply it, my furnace keeps running and finally produces steam
Most likely is a wiring error. Your guy has incorrectly connected the indirect control so that when it fires the boiler is is bypassing the high limit control on the boiler.

Describe the wiring.

aren't the two aquastats (the one on the indirect and the 6006A on the boiler) supposed to work together? The boiler heating up to the high limit (I think 180-190 degrees) and then stopping the burner while the circulator pump keeps circulating the water through the indirect's heat exchanger
That's the way it is supposed to work.

If you used to use the tankless heater for domestic water, then there must be another ( different ) control on the boiler someplace. What is the make and model of the boiler?