Circulator pumps

Old 03-31-12, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circulator pumps

Hi,
I have found this DIY web site very helpful, thanks to all.
I have two bell & gossett circulator pumps that are thirty years plus old and last year started making a high pitch squealing noise, I found two oil ports and filled them with 3-in one oil. The next day I had oil on the floor but the noise went away. How much and how often should I put oil in my circulator pumps? Thanks,
Ddecker

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-12, 01:41 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
There are three oil ports, two on the motor and one on the bearing bracket. The motor should receive three to six drops on each end once or twice a year and the bearing bracket ten to fifteen drops a year.

Over oiling the motor bearings will cause excess oil to run down onto the rubber mounting rings and deteriorate the rubber which will allow the motor to tilt and then cause the coupling to break. Over oiling the bearing bracket will simply make a mess as there is an overflow port.

Old 04-02-12, 07:48 AM
Thanks Furd, I have since found the third oil port (inboard motor side) and will keep them oil per your advice. Thanks again ddecker

Old 04-05-12, 12:56 PM
Oil grade

Be sure to use the right type of oil!

Any Three in One may not be the right kind; they have the blue containers for motors (which still might not be what's called for) and the orange/black containers for general use.

Check specs for weight and detergents. This might be what you have:
http://www.statesupply.com/skin/fron...nd-service.pdf

Last edited by TBurr; 04-05-12 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added link, even I needed a referesher!