Pilot light goes out.

Old 04-10-12, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot light goes out.

Hello all- I bought a townhouse in 2006, It was built in 2004. Every year when winter rolls around, the pilot light on my water heater goes out. It only happens 3-5 times every season. I'll go and re-light it and everything is fine but it eventually goes out again. Maybe a week later or maybe 2 months later. Doesn't happen that often but it always happens when the winter season rolls around. I wouldn't mind so much to fix it but the hot water heater is located in the attic! So every time it happens I have to drag out the ladder, climb up into the attic relight it and hope it doesn't happen again that year. But it will happen again when winter rolls around again guaranteed! Any suggestions as to what to do in order to at least minimize the amount of times I have to re-light it? Thanks - Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-12, 06:16 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Try replacing the thermocouple.

Old 04-10-12, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Could you post the make and model?

It sounds like a pressure issue within the home. Negative or positive not sure. What else is in the attic? Furnace?

I ask for the make and model so we can determine if its a seal combustion and what type of venting.

There could be other things but this is a start.

Mike NJ