any chimney issues switching from oil to gas

Old 04-26-12, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
any chimney issues switching from oil to gas

my install

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...r-install.html

sld4100 is what i have
http://www.boyertownfurnace.com/Prod...laia4pager.pdf

and i have no clue about my chimney except in 2008 when the new low mass was put in the installer said it was fine. just wondering in general if i have any pitfalls to watch out for, or questions to ask,with a 60 yr old house

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-12, 02:53 PM
At a minimum, get it thoroughly cleaned and inspected. Your flue gas temperature will be a lot lower with gas. Possibly will condense in chimney, in which case almost any- and every-thing that can flake or fall off will do so. In some cases that might even block the exhaust.

Quite possibly you will be better off having it lined. Stainless the best option. Aluminum ok, not as durable.

Old 04-26-12, 03:17 PM
really a question for the jurisdiction having authority.
Around here, you need at mimimun the correct diameter alum. chimney liner.
SS is better but not mandatory.
I would check with several installers or talk to the local inspector.
Bad things happen to chimneys when NG flue gases condense in unlined chimneys.

Old 04-26-12, 07:20 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The National Fuel Gas Code requires the chimney to be lined if a minimum of one wall of the chimney is on an exterior wall. The codes on chimney lining now states if the efficiency is over 82% it must be a stainless steel liner.

Old 04-27-12, 07:34 AM
talked to my boiler guy..he said he installed 15 years ago aluminum in his moms house and it''s been fine..and he just recently did a job for 500 himself so thats a hard to resist price. i'm probably gonna do that..also said i have to sell the burner on my own since no demand for oil anymore around here. but he can probably drain my oil tanks for me..not much left there anyway lol. maybe ill just crank up the house to 80 and let it burn near the time. cost to install will depend on location of meter and where and how far he has to run the pipe. i have a difficult crawlspace.

Old 04-28-12, 06:30 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The materiel the liner is made of is determined by the efficiency of the unit by code. Higher efficiency will have lower stack temps and more condensate than 15 years ago. I would follow code.

Old 07-17-12, 05:49 PM
update: he hasnt actually looked at the chimney but he said a 25 ft stainless liner will be about 600 plus 3 to 4 hours labor.

hows that sound for a price?

Old 08-30-12, 06:06 PM
found out chimney is 6x9 and 16 ft.he said looks good and doesnt even need the liner...he said if he did it a 5 inch would be installed and stainless would be more difficult to make the bend at the bottom..but i have no clue about such things

he's also gonna talk to the guy from the burner company because it still isnt firing right..loud boom every time it starts

Old 09-11-12, 12:50 PM
just finishing up this 'blog' of sorts. we discussed chimney more today. he said the terra cotta was excellent and the stack temp is still 400 and i get full sun year round on the south side of the house. he will check the chimney in spring of course but otherwise i think i'm gonna forgo the liner for now. ill watch for water coming out the pipe and of course if i see that id need one for sure. my guess is the short chimney plus year round use of the boiler has kept it in excellent shape