I need to change an oil boiler out with a gas one, trying to inform myself

Old 05-04-12, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I need to change an oil boiler out with a gas one, trying to inform myself

I have a 2,000 square foot house near Seattle WA with an oil boiler rated at 114,000 btu. The home is insulated, and has wood siding but a fair amount of glass. The house is on a slope and half of the downstairs below grade. The top floor is one room with the exception of a small bathroom. 2 zones with 75 feet of radiator upstairs zone and 50 ft of baseboard radiator downstairs zone. I have been heating with a wood stove for years so I do not have heating records. I need domestic hot water too but only want to combine them if it makes sense.

I couldn't find a decent Mac heat loss calc, so I got my PC out, but now it wont boot up. Hopefully I can get this working and get that figured out.

I had a guy walk through and quote me 10,000 dollars for a system but he didn't do any heat loss calculations or followthrough and send me an outline of what he wanted to do.

I also had another guy recommend a Takagi H-2. Is that good for me or just good for him? I have read on this forum tankless aren't best for this kind of application. (also suggested heat loss was unnecessary)

I want to have a gas line put in and a boiler that makes sense for this application. Can you guys give me some general direction so when I meet with someone I will know what I want?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-12, 01:01 PM
You definitely should have a heat loss done. So do it yourself, or find someone that is willing to do it.

Old 05-04-12, 06:51 PM
How are you making hot water now?

What kind of radiators do you have? Cast iron or Slantfin?

Is the purpose of the boiler to completely heat the home, or just supplement the wood boiler?

A heat loss is the starting point that will determine size, but we may be able to point you in the right direction in the meantime.

If you combine the hot water with the new boiler you won't be able to make hot water with wood. Is that a concern for you?

Old 05-07-12, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys,

Sorry to confuse things by mentioning burning wood. I just burn wood in a stove that is not connected to a heating system.

I have slantfin style radiators.

My house calculations are coming to 71,734 but I am still noodling with them a little. Does that sound plausible?

My oil boiler is in the garage, and the electric water heater is downstairs and more central to the home. I am not sure it makes sense to combine them but I am open to suggestions.

I appreciate the help,

Old 05-08-12, 04:24 PM
Name:  Screen shot 2012-05-08 at 2.59.19 PM.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  41.2 KB

This is the old oil boiler.

I think my house numbers are pretty close. I am continually making improvements and will probably be conservative with heating in the future.

I need to keep it basic and affordable.

Any specific kind / brand / model recommendations?

Look at this cheap tool for making a visual thermal map of your interior.
MAKE | Thermal Flashlight Reveals Substandard Apartment Insulation

Old 05-08-12, 05:33 PM
Basic and affordable.. Weil Mclain CGI series. Been around forever, good track record. Not the greatest efficiency, but that wasn't one of your prerequisites.

Tim

Old 05-10-12, 10:22 AM
I have been reading about these Naiven tankless combi boilers. Do these work as advertised? Would this be a good fit for a home like this?