old cast iron radiators

Old 05-15-12, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old cast iron radiators

I have old cast iron radiators on a hot water system that need painting. I'm considering taking them out to be dipped or sandblasted and painted. Is this worth the trouble? How will they hold up throughout the process? Would I be better off just painting them in place? I was going to replace the bleeders, valves, and union els. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-12, 05:40 AM
Well,

Consider the weight of these beasts (assuming they are not cast iron baseboard).
We have many customers that decide they want to do exactly what you are think about doing, once the price it out, usually the painter that is on site paints them.

If you do remove them, make a list of the height, width and number of section for each room, lots of rads will be moving and you want to ensure they go back in place correctly.
You will need new globe valve, get a good one for each rad.
You will need new left / right nipples for each rad, if they use them. Most up here use them, few I have seen use unions.
might as well replace any visable pipe fittings while there.

It will be a big job, and costs will add up quickly. If they are ornate rads the finished product will look beautiful though.

Old 06-05-12, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm still trying to decide what to do. Thanks again.