Replacing hot water radiator

Old 06-03-12, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing hot water radiator

My home is heated by hot water radiators. While gutting my bathroom, some, er, damage may have been done to my old radiator, so I am now in the market for a new one. A search for a used one has been fruitless, new seems to be the way I have to go. My question is, the old radiator has a 3/4" inlet and outlet, will it cause a problem if the radiator I purchase has 1/2" fittings, if I use bushing to adjust the size shortly before the pipes get to the radiator?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-12, 12:53 PM
What type of "radiator" is this? Stand up cast iron? aluminum fins on a copper pipe?
or?

Peter

Old 06-04-12, 02:58 PM
More importantly, how is your system piped? If it is in series, then you need to get a radiator with 3/4" inlets. If pipe parrallel, you should be fine with 1/2". You will want tpo match the output of the new radiator to the old.

Old 06-04-12, 03:05 PM
It is a stand up, cast iron radiator, with black Iron lines. And it is indeed, in a series. Nuts.

*edit* further examination reveals the bathroom radiator has its own line that splits from the hot water supply in the basement.

Old 06-04-12, 07:26 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If it's an older home and the piping is original, then there's a decent chance it could be a "one-pipe/diverter tee" system. In such case, the less flow restriction you add to the branch, the better. So 3/4" would be the way to go, IMO.