Existing Valve questions

Old 06-13-12, 09:17 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Existing Valve questions

I am in the process of finalizing the placement of all the components for my existing boiler in order to clean things up and build my mechanical/Utility room.

With this, I'm looking at two automatic valves and wondering what they are for and if they are actually required or just left over junk from past upgrades.

The picture below shows the 30PSI pressure valve on the top of the boiler (I know that is needed/used).
If you follow the hot pipe from the boiler, you'll see an electric valve (badge box) which has a reducer before and after it. It's two wires are not actually connected to anything, so I'm thinking it's just left over junk. Am I correct?
This boiler use to have 1 large circulation pump and now has two, breaking up the house into 2 zones.

The second valve I am questioning is on the fresh water feed section (lower left). It looks like a pressure valve, which doesn't exactly make sense to me. From what I can tell, this system has no way of automatically drawing water from the domestic water feed.
Name:  IMG-20120117-00378.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  41.9 KB

This next picture (although not good) shows the fresh water feed system where this mistery pressure valve is located.
Name:  IMGP0033.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  34.3 KB

Unfortunately I do not have any clear shots on hand of the valves in question. I will aquire some more photos this evening of it's required.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-12, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
The round device in your last pic is a check valve. Used for flow control because of the two circulatore.

The fill valve is on the right of that check valve. It looks like its piped with a by-pass. The feed water feeds into the return below the check valve.

The zone valves are probably obsolite due to the fact that you have circs.

I prefer zone valves. Saves electric. But looks like that one pump is a variable spped. Not sure.

I would cut that whole mess out and repipe if it were myself using zone valves.

Mike NJ

Old 06-13-12, 09:52 AM
lawrosa,
In the last picture, I am looking specifically on the valve that the red arrow points to.
Name:  IMGP0033crop.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  18.0 KB

Old 06-13-12, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Thats the fill valve for the boiler. The two red valves inline with it should be open. The valve on the right should be closed. That fill valve keeps the boiler at 12-15psi. If it ever failed you can fill the boiler manually by opening up the bypass valve and watching the pressure gauge at the boiler.

Do this on a cool boiler.

Additionally if you lift the handle on that fill valve it will fill the boilerlike the bypass will, and the gauge will need to be watched for proper pressure.

This is often used for purging the boiler of air.

Mike NJ

Old 06-13-12, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
From comfort calc.

This is a basic layout with circs. It shows bypass piping, but it depends on your heat emmitters.

To use zone valves install the zone valves where the circs are and remove the flow controls. The circ gets put on the supply right of the air seperator.

Always want to pump away from the expansion tank.

The valve you show is the pressure reducing valve in your pic.

Of course there are a lot of variables if you want to do P/S piping.

Mike NJ

Old 06-14-12, 08:18 AM
lawrosa,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the fill valve can be manually opened by pulling up on the tab?
If this is correct, are these things serviceable as mine did not let any water through.