Propane usage seems unusually high

Old 06-13-12, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Propane usage seems unusually high

I have a 4000 square foot house in Long Island, NY that I use only on weekends. Propane is used for heating, hot water, cooking and the dryer. I did not have the heat on last month and I used 145 gallons. I had the company check for a leak and there is none. I installed a switch on my hot water tank so I can turn it off during the week.

I do not understand how this usage can be so high. Is there anything else I can be doing. The costs are killing me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-12, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

How does this compare to past consumption?

Really? Your 4,000 square foot second home is killing you on propane? I hope you're not looking for sympathy

Old 06-13-12, 02:55 PM
Is there any way for someone to steal propane from your tank? Perhaps a lock on it will help. Do you have a whole house back up generator that uses propane? How long have you owned the home?

Old 06-14-12, 05:25 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
We need more info on the equipment to help here. What is the set-up?
Boiler make and model number, btu input?
Boiler with indirect, mod/con or cast iron, oil conversion with a conversion gas burner, tankless coil in boiler or stand alone water heater, is te boiler warm all the time or is it a cold start?

Old 06-17-12, 06:38 PM
My sisters company, (same company did service AND sold her propane) also told her she did not have a leak over a year until finally the grass dies off in a patch on the lawn and you could get near the ground and smell propane. I went over the next time they came and again they said no leak. I took the guy to the spot and asked him to smell it. I the asked him if he cared if I dropped a match on the spot with him standing on it. He quickly declined. I still wonder how much she lost as she said her monthly bill went down by 1/2 after they fixed it (under service plan) and then told them pack it. The new guy also said her furnace was set up to burn way more propane than needed and she was blowing $$$$ out her flue pipe If any one cares, you guessed it Suburban propane, who are under a few class action suits for price gouging and faulty repairs.