piping mod/con to existing oil boiler

Old 06-13-12, 08:13 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
piping mod/con to existing oil boiler

I am in the process of installing a navien ch-240. It will be piped together with a existing oil boiler. For use one at a time for whichever fuel I may have or for backup if mod/con decides to break.

Im planning on piping it like this diagram.
Piping A New Boiler into an Existing boiler

The primary secondary setup will be like diagram 4 shown here wit three zones for baseboard.
http://www.comfort-calc.net/primary-..._tutorial.html or this http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/bolier21.jpg

Here are some pics Pictures by c5ct - Photobucket of the piping i was thinking about. All done in 1" was going to do supply at 1-1/4 and decided not to. Existing boiler had a 2" riser about 18" then reduced at top with a 2' to 1" reducing elbow. Keep in mind these are laying on the ground and wont be positioned lik this when connected. Is there any problems that I'm missing photo 1 is the new riser off the old boiler from boiler up there is a shut off,then a tee for the bypass loop, 10" to second set of closely spaced tees for mod/con, then around 4 to 5"" to first elbow(is that to close??), then off to air scoop xp tank, then three 3/4 inch taco 007 f5IFC circulators.

The second pic is of the return piping, the tee on top will be connected to the bypass on the riser(is this a problem??)

Thanks for any help and input in advance, Is there a better way of going about this or should I just install the mod/con alone?

Last edited by sikonomou; 06-13-12 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-12, 03:54 AM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
If re-installing and making all the changes use this one.
Multiple_boiler Installation (preferred)
If just adding the gas boiler to an oil boiler use the first link you showed which puts the mod/con in a p/s piping application.
If thinking about your last link move the air seperator location after the boiler piping for better air elimination.

Old 06-14-12, 05:53 AM
S
Sorry for the confusion, i added the mod/con alone pics to show what type of P/S loop it was. The mod con will be piped along with the oil boiler for each one being used separately, never at the same time.

Old 06-14-12, 04:46 PM
S
Any other suggestions. Pipe sizing.?? Etc