zoned fan coils vs central air with revovery ventilator?

Old 06-25-12, 09:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
zoned fan coils vs central air with revovery ventilator?

i want to know if i had zoned fa coils for heating and cooling could i still have a heat recovery ventilator installed without interfering with the different room set temps? or would i be better off with a central heat/cool system hooked up to a recovery vetelator?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-12, 04:29 AM
T
It comes down to controls.
Typically, a hrv does not move many CFM.
In "Simplified connection" you need a fan in the air handler (fan coil) running on a low speed to deliver the air.
This may blend the temps of the different zones, as you would typically open all dampers and put the fan on low speed. Once there is a demand for heat or cool then the dampers would close expect for the demand zone. Bussiness as usual.
You can do a modified connection where you use the RA duct to collect the stale air to the hrv and use smaller duct to deliver the FA to each BR or area where you want the fresh air delivered.
More costly, but better in the end.
Or do a fully ducted and pull stale air from WR and LR's and deliver to the BR's as normal.

Old 06-26-12, 04:26 PM
T
i guess i will be going with central air then. zoned heating and cooling is what i prefer but i also want to have ventilation. do they make a heat recovery ventilator that is very small for a single room that can hook up to other ones for the air exhaust and air intake?

Old 06-26-12, 07:18 PM
T
Zoned heating and cooling is great.
There are a number of issues with it though, with heating , if it;s a furnace, you really need a 2 stage firing rate minimum. variable is best.
Cooling on the other hand can be a real challenge as typically 2 stage units are more costly and they don't really step down that far.
If you don't move enough air across a DX coil, it will freeze into the biggest ice cube you have ever seen. On the other extreme, if you move enough air to keep the coil from freezing on a small zone you will find that the air temp comes down quite fast but does not remove much humidity. This is ok if you like to live in a cave, but generally not the most comfortable feeling.
If you want good indoor air quality and comfort, seek professional advice. You can drop a lot of coin on good equipment but poor design will spoil it all.