Purchasing gas boiler to replace oil - poster BUILTIN1700

Old 07-04-12, 06:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Purchasing gas boiler to replace oil

We are new owners of a 1700 colonial and the heating system is being converted from oil to gas. The boiler recommended is a Weil McLain standing pilot 4 section. The current owner will replace it, and has had a WM oil burner for 20 years with no problems. He is thoughtful and generous, and I'm just doing my due diligence in researching in case there is something better (as in more reliable; not looking for the top of the line). Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 07-04-12, 08:25 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Before replacing ANY boiler, a thorough HEAT LOSS CALCULATION should be performed. The house is OLD, so may well have high heat loss, but chances are that replacing the current boiler with the same BTU output may be a mistake. Surely the home has been 'improved' with insulation and air leak sealing and all that...

Read this 'sticky' post:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...nt-boiler.html

How many square feet is the home? How many BTU on the current boiler nameplate?

Why put a 'too large' boiler in place and pay for the extra fuel the rest of the time you live there?

Check out the Burnham ES2 and see what you think.

Old 07-04-12, 06:48 PM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
I totally agree with Trooper about the heat loss. Proper sizing of the boilers is te greatest fuel savings. I cannot speak for this particular boiler but most old existing boilers are 100% or more oversized.

The US Boiler ES2, ESC and Series 3 boilers will have an updated control next month to meet the new 2012 compliance standards. The efficiency will not change but updates will be made to the control. The updates will add fuel savings automatically and make some of the wiring easier.

Old 07-05-12, 11:53 AM
O
rbeck,
Are they just including the optional ODR as standard equipment now, or are there additional changes? I have to say we are very happy with the ES2 boiler we put in last year.

Old 07-06-12, 06:45 PM
I
Is this steam or hot water?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: