Energy Kinetics System 2k Indirect Tank Questions

Old 07-29-12, 07:52 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Energy Kinetics System 2k Indirect Tank Questions

My indirect tank exploded at the seam this morning and flooded my basement. Got it all cleaned up and wanted to run a few ideas by the forum members.

1. Can I use the system 2k to heat the house with forced hot water as normal without the indirect tank?

2. Want to replace domestic hot water with a electric water heater.

Any ideas or comments on this?

3. Or if anyone can point me to some sites that sell indirect tanks to switch them out?

Thank you for the info, I am leaving for business for the next 14 months and need to take care of this for the wife and kids before I leave.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-12, 09:05 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Want to replace domestic hot water with a electric water heater.
In many areas heating water with electric costs substantially more the heating with natural gas. Do you have natural gas available?

Old 07-29-12, 09:33 AM
W
No my only options are oil and electric in my part of town, I am not opposed to using a replacement indirect tank but I can t find any info on where and what one to get,

Thanks, Mark

Old 07-29-12, 09:36 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
How old was the indirect? 'exploded at the seam' ? Sounds like possible manufacturing defect to me. This just doesn't happen in normal use. Did it really 'explode'? or just spring a leak?

I would first consider looking for some recourse with the manufacturer of the indirect.

1. Yes. There will likely be some small things need done in order to do so, such as disconnecting the control wiring from the indirect and probably capping some pipes. I would check with EK as to what you need to do there.

2. Probably an easy / quick solution, but will likely cost around $40 - $50 in electric / month, depending on your electric rates.

There are many manufacturers of indirect water heaters. Google to find them.

Old 07-29-12, 09:37 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Old 07-29-12, 09:42 AM
W
The indirect was original installed with the unit in 94 I think don't quote me on year I bought the house only 7 years ago. I would say exploded put 3 hours worth of sump pump and squeegee work into my basement to dry it out. It was dry before my shower and went down to start laundry and it was 5" or so of water, so within 30 to 40 mins. it was shooting out of the side of the tank.

1. Thanks I might send them an email tonight and see what they say.

Old 07-29-12, 09:44 AM
what question would you have for them.... find the size of your old unit or post the model number here and then order a new one and plumb it in or have it plumbed in for you. Not much else to the process. Either way you go, electric or indirect will require pluminbing of both DHW and boiler.

Old 07-29-12, 09:45 AM
W
Thank you for this link I will take a look, and see what I can learn. I hope I can clear this up in a few days.

Old 07-29-12, 09:48 AM
W
Located on the label plate of the tank it reads:

System 2000 Hot Water Storage Tank
Model # 0822970

40 gals

Might be easier to go indirect and keep it the same?

Any recommendations on what tanks I should look into, I dont know what price range is yet but I need something to replace it soon for the family.

Old 07-29-12, 10:03 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
what question would you have for them....
Reason I mentioned contacting them was for warranty coverage if it was only a few years old, but it seems it's almost 20... so probably/maybe no point, but it don't hurt to ask. Perhaps 'heatpro' will chime in and give some info about that.

Might be easier to go indirect and keep it the same?
Probably... you should know that most indirect tanks start at around $800 and go up from there.

It would possibly be cheaper in the short term to replace with something 'stand-alone', but remember that it will likely cost more in the long term for your hot water.

Old 07-29-12, 10:14 AM
W
I started poking around and that was about the cheapest I found $800 or so. Basically plug and go with the old one. A good stand alone electric is around $500, but then I need to look into if I have enough space in my breaker panel to accomadate. Any ideas if I can find used indirect tanks any where?

Old 07-29-12, 12:57 PM
W
So I disconnected the indirect and just capped all the water lines that ran to it. That should work right? I also disconnected the thermostat. Working on plumbing and wiring for the new electric water heater. I chose this route as it was cheapest and easiest to do within the next few days.

Old 07-30-12, 05:16 AM
H
You DO NOT have an indirect water heater, you have a storage tank. The hot water is made with a plate heat exchanger and stored in the tank. The electric water heater you purchased can be easily modified for use as storage and will save you money as opposed to using the electric elemants.

Old 07-30-12, 01:32 PM
W
Thank you for the heads up heatpro, are there any links of how to's on this or a way to find out? Also just to get it going can I not use it as a storage and hook it up and just use the system 2k to heat the house?