How do I find/what does air purge look like?

Old 08-09-12, 04:04 AM
How do I find/what does air purge look like?

I'm new to hot water baseboard heat. The boiler is in the basement with all baseboards in basement and upstairs on a single loop. I've read you should purge air from a valve located on the highest point in the system--but how do I find it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-12, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
Are you having an issue? The automatic air sepeartor/vent at the boiler should take care of any air as long as everything is working properly.

There may be bleeders at the baseboard if its of the cast iron design. If so just open each bleeder until all the air comes out and a steady stream of water comes out.

Water will be hot if boiler is running so use caution.

If the copper finned style , typically there are no bleeders installed.

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-09-12 at 06:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-12, 05:47 AM
As Mike mentioned, you'll probably be looking at bleeding the rads.
I have a hotwater boiler as well (bought the house in December).
I was told to bleed the rads when you first fire up the system for the heating season. Once you have them all bleed, do them again a day or two later. Some air will get moved around and will find their way into the rads. I have baseboards and not the cast iron rads.

I had to bleed my rads (all of them) about 3 times to get everything working properly. That being said, I have an older setup, which was in desperate need of some TLC.

Being that we are not currently in heating season, now is a very good time to take a quick look at all your bleed screws and any pipe work you can see. I discovered that the previous owner had broken off the heads of a few bleed screws because of over tightening. Really tough to change these things in the winter when you need heat.

Old 08-09-12, 08:57 AM
No problems yet--but I do plan to create some I have copper/finned baseboards and I'm going to be moving some walls so at that point the system will be drained.

It never occurred to me there might not even be air bleeds...but that would explain why I haven't spotted any.

Old 08-09-12, 09:53 AM
No air bleeds?
I wonder if your rads (sound to be the same as mine) are connected in series. If that is the case, there won't be any air bleeding issues in the rads, but your last rads in the series will be cooler then the first few.