does it matter if the conversion burner isnt listed in the manual?

Old 08-30-12, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
does it matter if the conversion burner isnt listed in the manual?

The Solaia’s service-friendly, quick-disconnect burner mount
accommodates both Riello F5, Beckett AFG, Beckett NX, and
Carlin EZ-1 oil burners and the Heatwise SU2A gas burner.

http://www.boyertownfurnace.com/Prod...laia4pager.pdf

my burner is a midco ec200 but in the literature of the sld 4100 boiler it doesnt list it

does that matter? the spec sheet does list gas so it must be safe for it.

reason i ask all this is my guy couldnt get the darn thing to work right today and i'm frustrated, i know he is to..'booms' during startup but otherwise runs fine. installed the slow open vent and it still does the same thing
next step is the midco rep coming in

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-12, 08:15 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
It is always best to use equipment certified by the original manufacturer but...

A "boom" on ignition is indicative of delayed ignition. Does this conversion burner have a prepurge function to get the combustion air fan up to speed before opening the gas valve? Are you certain the installer has properly adjusted the position of the ignitor? Does it use a hot surface ignition system or a spark ignition?

Old 08-30-12, 08:39 PM
well i dont know a lot about it..he's the pro, i'm just venting on here until it's fixed ..but i do know that with the oil burner it had a 30 second delay before it fired...and still has that.

and here's literature on the new equipment

Midco International, Inc. | Economite EC200 & EC300

also if you turn the gas line on and off while its running it consistently booms..unsure if that means anything

Old 08-31-12, 01:14 AM
Carefully read this document: http://www.midcointernational.com/pdf/8471-38.pdf
Did your installer follow these instructions EXPLICITLY? Note carefully the installation of the air restrictors if you fire below 200,000 BTUs per hour and the installation of the gas orifice if firing below 100,000 BTUs per hour.

You might also want to send a PM to Seattle Pioneer (I don't think he normally checks the boilers forum) as he has installed hundreds of conversion burners over his career.

Old 08-31-12, 07:00 AM
i'm pretty sure he followed the directions..well he definitely followed the setup chart because he found out that it was wrong...the factory rep said ignore the chart and do xyz...he was on the phone at least 5 times talking with him trying to figure it out

Old 08-31-12, 09:21 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
followed the setup chart because he found out that it was wrong...the factory rep said ignore the chart and do xyz..
Yeah... ok... well that's a pretty scary situation if you ask me.

This is GAS! and you are saying that the installer found the chart is wrong? and the rep is telling him to do something different?

I dunno man, that don't sound right to me.

Old 08-31-12, 10:42 AM
well in the next week or so the rep should be out here...ill have to ask what it was because i really forget..but there was something def wrong in the book he said...at least i have a record on here if i blow up and my atty can get something for my heirs

i dug thru the manual..i think the part he was looking at was air restrictor on and no orafice while on the phone...we are doing about 130K input...he said something about he had to turn a screw 10 times or something like that. but ill find out for sure when hes back

Last edited by luckydriver; 08-31-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 06:35 AM
this will be a funday..my boiler guy called over the weekend and his rep wont sell him the correct burner until he comes out and verifies it's not working right and it cant be fixed. well i dont care...the burner isnt in the manual as being compatible so i dont want it. plus i dont wanna take off work just to have someone come out and tell me the thing doesnt work when i know it doesnt then take off again to have it put in..how stupid is that? i dont get it..so my boiler guy gave me his reps number and i left a firm message this mornhing telling him that i dont care even if he gets it runnign perfect, it's NOT in the manual as compatble and i dotn want it in the house , im worried enough how it is all the time now and he's the one that said i have a positive pressure boiler and it's meant for a negative.. i said i dont care whos fault it is that the wrong thing is put in, i just want it corrected .period. and no one shoudl show up my house unless that new burner is in hand. so i cant wati to see if he gives me a hassle or not

so why would someone wanna try to force the wrong burner on me even after he said it's not made for my boiler.. the rep is also a rep for the burner and boiler companies so he must know what works and for him to sell my boiler guy the wrong thing is really his fault isnt it? id figure it's their job to know about all these compatibility issues.

edit: the company rep called back and he said the plan all along was to bring the new burner so either he lied to me or my other guy 'misunderstood' what was going on lol..who knows..by tomorrow i shoudl be all setup

Last edited by luckydriver; 09-10-12 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 01:28 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Did you mention to the rep your concern about there being possible air leakage where the burner tube is inserted into the boiler?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...ed-flange.html

Old 09-10-12, 02:12 PM
There is a reason why the manufacturer lists some models but not others. Generally it is because the listed items have been tested to ensure their proper operation and generally the manufacturer will allow listed accessories to be installed while still keeping the original warranty in effect. Once you deviate from manufacturers recommendations you are on your own.

Old 09-11-12, 06:45 AM
yes mentioned seeing the light and he said the factory told him it needed the air..but the manual said seal it. hopefully they get here soon and this is all done today

Old 09-11-12, 12:47 PM
ok to anyone doing an conversion. CHECK the manual to make sure it's compatible!

my guy just installed the carlin ezgas on the solaia boiler and it was set up in 5 minutes..vs the 3 days of trying with the midco the rep said 'was approved for ' a positive pressure boiler..utter BS!!! when the midco guy was here he dialed it in but it would never fire right more than one time in a row. so i was used as a guinea pig for some experiement and i didnt like it

when a consumer can open up the factory manual and see the type of burner thats compatible, the rep should be smart enough to do that too.

the carlin runs great and no BOOM when it starts up

i'm sure all boilers are different but here are some figures from the install

400 degrees
.234 orifice
8 in WC
9.1% CO
4.7 o2
Co 30ppm