radiant BB and sharkbites

Old 09-07-12, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
radiant BB and sharkbites

Okay first to start I am very capable of using copper as I did plumbing and heating for some years.

Now to the question I will probably get bashed for.

I amreplacing a section of radiant BB line with the red heat rated pex BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT I do not own a crimp tool. I was wondering if the newer sharkbite fittings will work instead of crimping. right now its just a matter of money to buy the tool and the fact I will only be making two connections. I was never crazy about sharkbite in the past being from the soldering days (pex tubing never bothered me just he connections) but as of recent if the fitting is not hidden behind an enclosed wall I have become pretty fond of them and as stated I have always like pex pipe, even when installing plumbing/heat systems in the past.

anyway i tried searching the forum first and read on the sharkbite site they are rated for 200 dg but just wanted some info from someone who may have used them.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-12, 07:18 AM
Ive used them on domestic water lines. Fastest thing to get out, plus it was a friend of a friend so i wasnt getting paid much just wanted to get out quick. If it was a legit job, i wouldnt use them, actually I'm taking that guy to court becuase he's not paying me for $700 worth of material, i hope those fittings blow out on him.

Old 09-07-12, 08:25 AM
yes ive used them on domestic water tons, but my question was regarding 3/4 copper heat tubing.

Old 09-07-12, 03:38 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I've used them on domestic supply also. Even though manufacturer says they can be safely closed in walls, and buried underground, I am reluctant to use them in those applications. It just don't feel good to my gut (never mind the extra expense!).

Their website says this:

The SharkBite® Push-Fit fittings are listed by IAPMO and are certified for potable and hydronic heating water distribution (note: Glycol mixture for hydronics is not to exceed 50% concentration). The SharkBite® Push-Fit fittings have been certified for underground applications and as a manufactured joint without access panels and they meet UPC, IPC and cUPC requirements.

Please consult with local plumbing codes concerning specific applications.
So, it's sorta up to you and your local AHJ whether or not you should or could use them for hydronics. How does YOUR gut feel about it?

Let me add that success using the Sharkbite comes from very carefully prepared pipe ends. There must be NO BURRS on the outer surface (and of course the inner should always be properly reamed, even if soldered), and ideally, there should be no lateral or torsional tension on the completed joint. Use extra pipe support if needed to achive this.

Old 09-07-12, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Have you seen the deburring tool they have for using sharkbites? It's cool and works on pex, cpvc and copper to slightly round the end a little. I was at a trade show thingy a week or so ago, and they even have up to 2" sharkbites. No thanks.
Oh, Pex crimpers can be bought for about $60, now. I would get the dual jaw (1/2 & 3/4").

Old 09-08-12, 08:48 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I have seen it... but don't own one. It would come in handy though, especially for marking the tubing to make sure it's fully inserted into the fitting. The tool is under $20 so not out of reach.

I'm always in search of the 'better deburring tool' !

I know this is a bit of 'topic drift', but would seem to apply here since deburring is very important for sharkbite use.

This tool I've tried doesn't work so well

image courtesy northwaysmachinery.com

It tends to 'grab' the pipe and actually makes it worse. You need to go slow and not apply much pressure.

Old 09-08-12, 09:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
This is the one the pex guy had at the show. It accepts all sizes AND gives your "take up" at the same time. Just mark the pex at the end of the tube and measure. Reliance Worldwide U702A Deburring Tool & Gauge

Old 09-10-12, 01:32 PM
well both ends of the pipe will be exposed but i was looking for someone who may have done it already and had some input. thanks for replying tho guys.

for the most part i have begun to trust the fittings much more these days but still will not put one behind a wall.
to me pex or copper pipe has the same chance of bursting or freezing so using the pex pipe behind a wall is nothing and almost better since you can make one long seamless run.

maybe I will just get the crimp tool. I could use it in the future when working on my rentals.
Sad tho I almost trust the sharkbit ends more than a crimp lol, guess experiance is what builds the trust tho. I used to use crimp on heat and well in the past with no concerns, but wasnt on my house lol.

Old 09-10-12, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
I have not de burred any pex piping in my career, although this has been the tool of choice, Ridged, I have used for PVC for the last 25 years or so. Its works as inside and outside reamer.

Deburring Tools - RIDGID Professional Tools

Now I see the smallest tubing size for this reamer is 3/4". Very interesting and it has peaked my interest. I am going to have to try it on tubing.

I usually use the edge of my utility knife if I need to remove stuff off tubing.

But I would be more inclined to use the deburrer on the rothenburger type tubing cutters, They make a few brands with the pen type blade built in. Even pen types are better IMO although although I rarely use them.

Like I said easier and faster to use your utility knife.......LOL. PVC is a different story.

Rothenberger 21660 Rapid Deburrer Tool - Amazon.com

Old 09-10-12, 07:00 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I had one of those cone-shaped deburrers and I found it was fine for the OD but the utility knife beat it every time for deburring the ID.