Some Questions Regarding Boiler

Old 09-10-12, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Some Questions Regarding Boiler

Hi There It's an HB Smith Series 8, hot water/oil boiler. Hot water coil plate that bolts the coil to front of boiler with 4 bolts sprung a leak on bottom (gasket). Fixed leak, but the front red boiler cover rusted through. I could hunt up another I suppose. But why can't I leave the covers off? They serve no usefull purpose except to quiet the boiler, right. Circulator Relay screws to the cover. But I just attached it to a piece of aluminum I had kicking around. Boiler is no longer the primary heat source and will only be used to heat the cellar when I'm down there working. After I figure out how to add another zone for the cellar. Question #2 The new zone in the cellar: Plan on using a single HS-18 Fan controlled Modine with a new circulator controlled by Taco Zone Control Relay with a Honeywell Thermostat. I'm told I should put in a low-limit Aquastat to control the fan on the Modine. That aquastat straps to the Modine water inlet or outlet right? Still trying to figure the whole zone installation out. It's a small cellar 23 by 31 feet and 7 foot ceiling. Will the 1 Modine (12.6K Btu) be enough? It never gets below 50 degrees F down there in the winter. (Massachusetts) I'll set the thermostat for 50 and just turn it up to 65-70 when I'm working in the cellar. THANKS!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cover is probably just the jacket to the boiler shell, remove the shell and you will find insulation batts. the jacket is there to cover the insulation and keep it from getting wet, and cover any exposed hot surfaces. you dont need to have it there, but if you have kids and pets running around, i would baricade it to prevent burns.

As for the modine fan/heater unit - those are awesome, btw. An aquastat usually has a probe that is fitted into a thermowell that is immersed on the water side of the heating equipment, outlet side usually. if you're not heating the house with the boiler anymore, then the modine is probably sufficient for heating the basement, you could even open the door to 1st floor to allow for the warm air to travel out and heat the house.