Old American Standard Arcoliner Furnace -- Need to Replace Hot Water Coil

Old 09-11-12, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old American Standard Arcoliner Furnace -- Need to Replace Hot Water Coil

For old residential American Standard Arcoliner Furnace (oil-fired), need to replace inside 6-gallon hot water coil. Furnace/boiler is Model 0155-T, Series 2BT-J3. Current coil has restricted, but still functional flowthrough, but I am reluctant to open up/tinker with the furnace to inspect and/or measure the existing coil while it is still somewhat working and until I have a replacement coil in hand.

PLEASE, PLEASE, any suggestions on where/how to obtain replacement coil? Even document that gives specs for the existing coil based on the furnace model/series would be helpful. I'd be willing to pay to have a new coil made to specs, if necessary, since it be much less expensive than replacing entire furnace. I have already googled and called many of the links that come up.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-12, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You would be much better off and probably cheaper to install a stand alone water heater or another option would be an indirect water heater.

Old 09-13-12, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What rbeck said.

I would strongly recommend the indirect hwh----they don't come cheap (appprox $1k) by mfgrs like Triangle Tube, HTP Superstor, Crown Megastor, Lochinvar, Tfi Everhot, Amtrol, typically 40 gal, but also 30 gal.

The replacement tanklesse heaters are rated for 5 gpm but in actual use it's more like 1 or 2 gallons; if you have hard water in your area it's poor economy to replace with a new TH when it will again become restricted from the lime/calcium in the water.

Since you already have a boiler, the IHWH is considered a companion to your HWB; the 40 gal or 30 gal indirect tank sits next to your boiler as a heat exchanger, using the heat of the boiler HW to heat the domestic HW-----it's one of the most low-cost ways of making DHW; you'll never run out of DHW even during peak usage morning rush; these units just sit there for years on end, quietly doing their job & very rarely breaking down; there's no additional flue or fuel you have to burn.

When the time comes to replace the old boiler, the IHWH stays in the boiler room & is simply connected to the new boiler.

Old 09-14-12, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
With an old Arcoliner, I'd be leaning to a stand alone water heater. If you really want to replace the coil, presuming you can get it out without wringing off bolts, replacement coils are available.