vandalism hit boiler system

Old 09-14-12, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
vandalism hit boiler system

A friend owns a duplex. There are two boiler systems for heat - one for each unit. Vandals broke in and stole much of the exposed plumbing from the basement. Mostly impacted the heating system. I was suggesting he look at Pex for the non-heating plumbing repairs. I am curious what options he may have that are DIY friendly for repairing the plumbing system? I am concerned that he does not know what other controls, valves or other might have been taken if it was exposed between the boiler and the wall. Does this sound like a job for a professional or can it be fixed by DIY? I know pictures are probably going to be important but before I stuck my toe in too far, I figured I should check how cold and deep it was.

The sad part is that this was an investment house for rental and he is already underwater so if the repairs are too high, his only option is to simply walk away and lose his investment and credit.

Suggestions are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Does he not have insurance for this?

Old 09-14-12, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No insurance. I would prefer to stay away from how he should have done things financially leading up to this because nothing will change the past. This is where we are today and looking to move forward.

Old 09-14-12, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
OK, fair enough. Short version is 100% of the cost for this is coming out of his pocket, then, right?

Old 09-14-12, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replace with PEX, you can rent the crimping tool instead of buying it.
PEX vs copper in price is much more affordable and worthless to the junkies who stole it to begin with.