Massive noise sounding like the water tank is going to explode

Old 09-22-12, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Massive noise sounding like the water tank is going to explode

Hi,
We have central heating working with hot water going into the radiators. We also have a water tank in the loft. A few months ago, we suddenly heard a massive noise coming from the water tank. Gurgling, and sounding as if tonnes and tonnes of water were about to crash over the house! As if the whole water tank had blocked off. Then we could hear a lot of pressure or water pushing into the upper floor radiators. Suddenly, the heating of the water could be heard, but it wasnt actually heating (the flame in the boiler had switched off, and this switch had pushed up needing us to reset it by pushing it back in...sorry about the lack of technical language!).
Since then, all through out the winter, the central heating whilst being switched on, would stop functioning, so we would freeze. Every time this happens, the system has had to be reset on several occassions, but we understand that that isnt the solution, as there obviously is a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? We brought in a technician twice who was guessing away, and this morning the problem reoccurred.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-12, 05:23 AM
What is the temperature and pressure of the boiler?

Old 09-22-12, 07:13 AM
Hi,thanks for your reply.I have no idea because it doesn't display those things.it's a potterton gas boiler and we have it on level 3.

Old 09-22-12, 07:22 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi poppy, most of us here are in the US and things are a bit different 'over there' so we might not have the needed expertise to help. What you are describing as far as the equipment is unknown to me ... and I'm sure the others as well.

We brought in a technician twice who was guessing away,
I hope you didn't have to pay him for GUESSING at what the problem was?

You should really find a COMPETENT technician to help you with the problem. One that doesn't have to GUESS at the problem.

That said, I am going to make a few guesses myself. I'm allowed because I don't get paid!

1. Perhaps your circulating pump is dodgy?

2. Maybe there isn't enough water in the system and the pressure is low and the water is actually boiling? (it should NOT boil, even though we call them boilers)

3. Possibly a high limit temperature switch is not opening and the system is overheating (causing boiling)

4. If there is not enough water in the system it would lead to AIR taking it's place, and this might be what you hear going through the pipes, but this isn't usually loud enough to cause one to think it's getting ready to explode.

Old 09-22-12, 04:11 PM
Hi njtrooper,
Many thanks for your suggestions.yes unfortunately we did have to pay the technician,it's always very tricky when you call someone in as you don't if they are competent or not.but im gonna definitely keep your suggestions in mind as they sound very realistic when a different technician is coming in this week.

Old 09-22-12, 04:38 PM
What model is your Potternton? Perhaps I can find something in the literature online.

Old 09-22-12, 04:55 PM
There needs to be at least a pressure gauge on the system. It could be on the boiler or somewhere on the piping near the boiler. Please try and locate this.

Old 09-23-12, 01:27 AM
Hi there,
Its a Potterton prima 60e. I cant find any pressure gauge, not near the boiler downstairs or the pipping near the water tank upstairs. Im at a loss.

Old 09-23-12, 08:00 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Poppy, if there's no pressure gauge, then whomever installed that appliance did not follow the installation manual:

Pressure Gauge

A pressure gauge incorporating a fill pressure indicator, covering the range 0-4 bar (60Ibf/in5) shall be fitted to the system. It should be connected to the system, preferably at the same point as the expansion vessel. Its location should be visible from the filling point.

Expansion Vessel

A diaphragm type expansion vessel to BS4814 Part 1 shall be fitted close to the inlet side of the pump. The connecting pipework should not be less than 15mm (1,2in nominal). Pipework connecting the expansion vessel should not incoporate valves of any sort. Methods of supporting the vessel are supplied by the manufacturer. The nitrogen or air charge pressure of the expansion vessel shall not be less than the hydrostatic head (height of the top point of the system above the expansion vessel). To size the expansion vessel it is first necessary to calculate the volume of water in the
system in litres.
See if you can locate your expansion vessel, and the associated water fill valve...

By the way, I have found the manual for your boiler here:

http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Man...80,100%20e.pdf

Old 09-24-12, 02:28 AM
Hi Njtrooper,
Thanks for your message, thats great to know. I have tried, but cant locate it. Obviously I am not an expert, so Ill raise the issue up with the technician this week. I find it strange however, that the pressure gauge, if indeed installed has literally been 'hidden' because its absolutely nowhere obvious. But we'll see.....