Replacing boiler, What brand boilers hold up better and ones to stay away from

Old 09-24-12, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing boiler, What brand boilers hold up better and ones to stay away from

Hi! I will be replacing my 26year old Trianco DBC103 oil fired, boiler soon,old one was 83,500BTU and 98,700 gross BTU., I have two zones to heat bilevel house. Two years ago stopped using boiler for making hot water and won't make hot water with new one. I have been researching boilers on line and find they all have bad reviews with cracked heat exchangers and other problems. I know they don't make them like they use to, not looking for computer operated models. I would like to find out which ones hold up good and the ones to stay away from. Thanks for your help. John

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-12, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Hi,

You should do a heat loss of the home first. Possibly the old boiler was over-sized.

What type of heat emitters do you have?

Burnham seems to be good. I would stay away from Weil Mclain myself, but that's just me. I been looking at the Slant fin line also. Something about the metal push nipples that connect the sections together, where other manufactures use gaskets.

You probably want a 3 pass design for best efficiency.

The pros will be on soon to give more input.

http://slantfin.com/images/stories/P..._ec1020_10.pdf
U.S. Boiler Company is a leading manufacturer of home heating equipment, water boilers, steam boilers, hot water heaters, radiators and boiler control systems.

Old 09-24-12, 07:24 AM
Thanks for advice. I have hot water baseboard heaters. I have done work on this old unit, circulator pump change,expansion tank replace, flush out heater core thru the years,I disconnected water heater part and installed an electric water heater 2 years ago. I let pros tune it up and clean unit. I will probably replace unit myself and have someone set unit up, or get prices on complete job. My oil dealer uses Weil-Mclain and almost got WGO-3 boiler and a beckett burner but online reviews made me wary, problem is all online reviews aren't too good. I know phony reviews are posted about hotels and other businesses online by competitors so it makes it hard to decide. Thanks again. John

Old 09-24-12, 10:25 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, that is ALL you will find on the internet... BAD reviews.

I wish that the hundreds of thousands of people who have GOOD experience with the same products would pipe up and post their good reviews... but they don't. All you will find is the people who got a bunch of sour grapes and now all they want to do is b17c4 about it to anyone that will listen.

Also, keep in mind that one 'mistake' can scar a manufacturer for life. Just because 15 years ago there may have been a product that was a bit of a 'lemon' does NOT mean that subsequent products are also lemons! Manufacturers generally want to LEARN from their mistakes so they don't repeat them. Would they still be in business 15 years later if they didn't?

Yes... and phony reviews, etc... for whatever sociopathic reasons they may have.

=============================

That said... MOST problems with boiler installs are the fault of the installer and NOT the boiler itself. Any boiler is only as good as the install.

The majority of people that write bad reviews know next to nothing about how a boiler should be installed. The tendency is to immediately jump on the equipment and complain.

=============================

I just installed a Burnham MPO in my own home. I absolutely LOVE this boiler so far, even though it's only got about 2 hours of run time on it.

Read through the thread of my install if you haven't already:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...n-finally.html

My choice was made after literally YEARS of research. The MAIN reason I chose this boiler is because of the the thought that Burnham put into the EASE OF CLEANING. Being one on my most detested jobs on the Ponderosa (I would rather plunge a toilet full of poo!), I wanted to make it less of a chore.

Being easy to clean means that it will be more likely to be done, and done properly.

The efficiency is high on these boilers, one of the highest in the industry, due to the 3 pass design.

They are less prone to issues with flue gas condensation due to the nature of the heat exchanger design.

It IS 'higher' tech than some... there is a bit more electronics involved, but nothing like what you might see on a modulating/condensing gas boiler. The "IQ" panel allows simple plug and play of optional modules for outdoor reset, low water cut off, auxiliary high limit.

It's at the top of my recommended list.

Old 09-24-12, 10:36 AM
1. +1 on heat loss measurement to correctly size the boiler

2. go with a 3-pass marine scotch boiler design, ie Burnham MPO, Buderus GS, Biasi B10. Weil Mclein & Slant Fin also make their own 3-pass types as well
*these boiler types do not have the tankless coil, but you don't want that feature anyway.

3. go with an indirect water heater with your new installation. have the electric HW heater as a backup.

You could install it yourself if you have the know how and the motivation. I chose to do the wiring, a young plumber did the fitment & piping, and I paid for a tech to tune the burner (although i have oil, i didn't want to chance this being there was a house that exploded from a propane leak in my town recently). Cost wise, I saved $4k by installing it like this vs having an hvac outfit do it.

Old 09-24-12, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys for the good advice!!!

Old 09-25-12, 05:57 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Energy Kinetics System 2000 is manufactured just a few miles from Pittstown in Clinton Twp. Check out the website and if you still have questions call the number for customer service. By the way, System 2000 is a fuel neutral boiler, meaning you can fire it with fuel oil, LP or NG, just change out the burner.

Old 09-25-12, 05:29 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The EK was on my list of preferred... probably lost due to the fact that I could not purchase and install one myself. Bummer...

Old 09-27-12, 09:37 PM
You may want to look at Viessman Boilers. Yes, they have a circuit board controller, but they are also one of the most efficient boilers on the market. The heat exchanger is a coil, but it isn't the super-small coil type, and they are the only one that uses a 316 Ti stainless steel material. The 'Ti' stands for Titanium alloy stainless. They have an impecible track record. Super quiet. Self-calibrating for efficiency. They also have an input to make domestic H/W in a tank when you need h/w for your tank (should you decide to go back to indirect h/w). It's going to be a lot more efficient than a standard boiler.

Otherwise, a burnham boiler with a cast-iron HEX is pretty tough to beat. Good luck!